At what age should I start paying attention to what my baby watches on television?

I enjoy watching movies and television with my 5 month old son. Sometimes, the action scenes look scary to me, but he doesn't seem bothered by them. I'm starting to wonder though, at what age should I start paying attention to what he watches, and start choosing more gentle programs for us to watch together?

jennysama

Asked by jennysama at 12:50 AM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've always understood that babies under 2 years old should not even watch the TV, because it might hinder their mental development.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:39 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I also heard that children under two should not be watching TV.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 1:49 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Really? But that doesn't seem realistic since I enjoy watching tv to wind down at the end of the day, but also I have to take care of my LO. I mean, we don't watch tv all the time, or even every day, but I feel its unreasonable to try and cut it out all together.
    We do have reading and play time. He is making good progress developmentally, he's only 5 months and already says mama, and mimicks words I say. I feel he is very sharp mentally, which is why I'm so worried about the television programming. Not because it will hinder him, but because he will learn something he's not ready to learn yet.
    So I really wonder, at what age will he start being able to comprehend what's happening on television?
    jennysama

Comment by jennysama (original poster) at 1:53 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• 4 months they start to understand. But really TV for a baby is no good. Try listening to fun child music to help you chill. It worked for me.
    WARNING

Answer by WARNING at 3:18 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Children under age three should not watch TV

Answer by rkoloms at 6:01 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 6:53 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• the AAP recommends no TV under 2
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:14 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• They don't understand until they are much older. It is too much stimulation for them that they cannot process. Under age two is too young.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:52 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I didn't like to have violent stuff on tv when my kids were babies, even though they were not watching. They could still hear it, and it bugged me. So I definitely wouldn't have let them watch it! Tv is no good for kids, anyway.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:26 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I'd just like to ask, how are you supposed to keep your child from watching television? My son is glued to anything we watch that has cars in it.
    jspenny2705

Answer by jspenny2705 at 8:35 AM on Mar. 18, 2011