How many of you have already had a child move out of your home? How well did you handle it?

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 1:14 AM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• My oldest child who is also my only son. I took it hard. But I'm proud of him. He's raising his 4 children on his own. Sometimes mom you have to let them fly on they own.If they need you they know the number. Hang in there. It is going to be alright. It will take a little time for you to adjust but you will.
    Parka54

Answer by Parka54 at 6:11 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Me & my DH would decide how best we can handle it...
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 1:16 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I did, it was hard but I did all right. I make him call me every day tho, lol and he is 22 now
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 4:37 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• My oldest is still here at home. He's done with school but technically still a Senior. He's trying to get into the Army. I have a ball of emotions......anxious, excited, nervous, scared.......it's all in there.
    jucyfrut

Answer by jucyfrut at 8:28 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I have four adult children that has left the house and at first, I thought I wouldn't be able to handle it well but the kids are independent and doing fine. I've converted one of the rooms into a playroom for our daughters and I'm currently converting the other room into a home office/study room. In two years, I'll take out the playroom and use it as a guest room. I"m enjoying this time in my life...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 2:48 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Three of mine are permanently out of the nest and 1 is kind of...lol. The older 3 are 24, 23 and 20 and have been out of the house since they were 18, 17 and 19. My youngest is 19 and he's in college...he comes home on school breaks. It was honestly easy when they left the nest because my husband and I have a really great relationship and we are happy to have time for us now.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:24 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• i have 5 adult kids 2 have left home three are still at home looking for job's
    when the boy's left i new it was best for them i was jumping for joy yes there is god
    no more cooking, no more picking up their shit or dirty dish all over the house
    no more doing their laundry , the other three help out more then other two always bitching why when i leave home i won't have to do all this shit ,but if eat have clean clothes or girls over you will and i get to have last laugh pay back our bitch
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 12:29 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Two of mine are out already and although it was a sad event, we adjusted, I still have a 23 year old at home that gives me lots of loving......and pride.......

Answer by older at 8:33 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• My oldest son moved out when he was 22 and I was very sad but within time I was used to it. I don't know when I worried about him more: when he lived at home or when he moved out. But You do get used to it.
    momma937

Answer by momma937 at 2:22 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I have 3 children... my oldest has 2 of her own, my middle child lives in Sydney, Australia and my youngest is at boarding school... thank goodness they left one at a time is all I can say!

I miss having them around but at the same time I am so proud of their achievements to date and their plans for the future... I don't want to get in the way of them pursuing their goals... they know where I am and we keep in regular contact... I have a few dreams of my own left to fill and now is my opportunity and the wonderful thing is they encourage me to do just that :-)
    dabsbeauty

Answer by dabsbeauty at 6:19 AM on Mar. 21, 2011