Behavior Problems...And he doesn't talk to me.

DMS...his behavior is unacceptable for the past 3 weeks or more. Talking back,hitting others, not listening and following directions in or out of school. It is not just one class. It is in all classes. I've removed him from all activities, no playdates, and he has received spankings. I don't know how to get to him to let him know that his behavior is unacceptable. I feel as he is getting worse, or I'm expecting to much of a 6 yr old, Is this just a phase? I need help!

tshs98

Asked by tshs98 at 1:23 AM on Mar. 18, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Get him into a counsler or tested for a behavior disorder.
    surfgrl60

Answer by surfgrl60 at 1:30 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Have you tried positive reinforcement? Like tell him how proud you are of him when caught being good?
    kmrtigger

Answer by kmrtigger at 1:45 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• It's only a phase. Don't scold too much as well don't pay too much of attention...
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 1:50 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I don't think spanking is the solution. To me that just teaches him that hitting is ok. I agree with the suggestion of positive reinforcement. I took a class many years ago that said for every negativ a child hears they need to hear 3 positives or was it five. Look for the positives in everything. Here are some examples (he combed his hair nicely, picked up his toys, said please, helped out etc..)

Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 2:06 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• A child acting like this needs help. Have you talked to him and asked what is bothering him? If he won't talk to you ask his teacher or other kind adult to talk to him. Did something happen three weeks ago that he is reacting to? I think you are expecting too much from a 6 year old. Make sure you spend quality one on one time with him and praise him when he does things right. Plus talk to his teacher to come up with a plan to help him, not punish him. Talk to the school's counselor if there is one. Please stop spanking him and do what you can to help him. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:05 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• talk to his teacher and counselor at school
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:09 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Thank you everyone for your kind advice. I do try to be postive. I've always tell him to be great! Which in terms means in our house hold be the best you can be. I guess I'm so fustrated because I feel we are very postive over all. We do tell him good job and we are proud of him just because and on the little things such as clean his room after playing. This morning before sending off to school I made it a point to tell him that I believe in him and remind him that I love him. The fustration is that I'm using everything I learn so far from others...Talking, explaining, taking things away, follow through wheater the behavior is good or bad. But being a parent is not about giving up. Only thing that may be bother him is that I had surgery three weeks ago. But we explained everything and talked about it openly. I'm fine and healing is going well. I will keep you posted. Thanks again for listening and sharing.
    tshs98

Comment by tshs98 (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Have you asked him what is bothering him?
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 1:05 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Sounds like something is going on that is bothering him. Start with school counselor if there is one, if not, ask his pediatrician for recommendations.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 9:15 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Positive reinforcement is an awesome tool.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:50 AM on Mar. 20, 2011