Why does the thread on my sewing machine keep breaking?

It is a 1926 singer model 15. I have cleaned it and oiled it, I have tried adjusting the bobbin tension and the needle thread tension. I can't seem to get it to work right. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sagen

Asked by Sagen at 1:55 AM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Cheap thread will break often. Invest in some of the spendier thread, and you might not have the same problem... (worked for me!)
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:08 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I feel the machine is far too old...
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 2:12 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• New needles, good thread, and maybe a different fabric. Use a good quality strong cotton thread and a cotton fabric... It might just be the combo of thead / fabric.

See if there's someone local who knows about the older machines, i've got one from 1932 and it still works fine, however a lot of the older ones are difficult.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 5:43 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I'm with Piskie on this: try some tests with different fabric and thread. And you'd be surprised how many sewing repair shops have experience with older machines; basically the design of a basic sewing machine had no serious variations until they started computerizing them. Check the belt(s) to make sure they're in good shape, since a slipping belt can screw up the motion, which causes tension variations in the thread. Then, make sure that it's not a "big duh" moment and the path of the thread is correct.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:11 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Older machines (particularly that old) were designed for use with heavier materials- not the cheap wispy poly/rayon blends of today. Use good quality cotton thread, and make sure you're running a fresh needle.
    Check the manual (you can google a PDF and print one) for proper tension adjustment... THAT is what generally breaks your thread, and without a manual proper adjustment can be damned near impossible. You'll just have to keep playing with it until you get it correct.
    I envy you, for having such a fine machine in working order. I wish I had gotten my Gram's when she passed.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:10 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• It's not the machine! I use a 1950 White and LOVE it. It's the thread. I can't use the threadlock on any machine but especially not my White. It usually is just cheap thread or using a thread that isn't designed for the type of fabric you're using (using quilting thread for corduroy etc). Also you could be using a needle that's too heavy duty for the thread. But it pretty much comes down to the thread.
    jennifercalling

Answer by jennifercalling at 10:23 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• It is probably your thread type. You need to use a good sturdy cotton thread and check your tension on your machine.
    mlgrob57

Answer by mlgrob57 at 1:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• It wasn't the thread or the tension, as it turns out the needle was positioned wrong for that machine. I put it in the way I would for any other sewing machine but it is supposed to be turned so the flat part of the needle is toward the right and then you thread it from left to right.
    Sagen

Comment by Sagen (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• i'm glad you figured it out.My mom got a machine about that old,and she had it serviced at the sewing shop.Now it works like a dream.I am having problems with my elna,but to be sure,my thread is old and that makes a difference.it shouldn't but it does.good luck with your machine.
    karrey

Answer by karrey at 9:20 AM on May. 11, 2011