Cloth Diaper vs Disposable re: Potty Training

I heard today from my midwife that infants who wear cloth diapers typically potty train a full year ahead of infants who wear disposable diapers. (The main reason is that a child can "feel" the wetness of a cloth diaper and understand what/where/when it is happening, but when wearing a super absorbant disposable diaper the child doesn't understand that he/she's wet or where/when it came from).

I'd love to hear about your experience with cloth vs. disposable diapers in regards to length of time your child took to Potty Train.

GoodyBrook

Asked by GoodyBrook at 1:55 AM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I cloth diapered my first and he was totally out of diapers at 18months. I disposable diapered my twins and they were both potty trained right before they turned two. I believe what the midwife said. I did not use pull ups in either case. I gave them plain under wear and not until they were dry did we get character underwear. That was the reward. The easiest way is to put the kid in underwear, give them a big drink and wait 20 minutes. Take them to the toilet and run the water in the sink and they will automatically start peeing. Then jump up and down, laugh, point woot woot, all that jazz to make them understand that what they just did was pretty spectacular. Then give them two M&Ms. Start process over. Most kids catch on pretty quick. It even worked for my disabled stepson when we got custody of him when he was 3&1/2 and still in diapers. I had him out of them in one week
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 4:33 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I only have a 6 month old but that idea the midwife said totally makes sense.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 2:49 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I had also read that. My child was the exception; she was tying her shoes and reading long before she was out of diapers

Answer by rkoloms at 6:02 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• i used cloth with all my kids. used disposable ownly for doctor appointmenrs. i thought it was cheaper no problem with kids whering them.
    califbecky

Answer by califbecky at 6:47 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I used disposable diapers, but when I started training I always used cloth training pants instead of pullups. My oldest didn't train until later - he's in special education, but well ahead of his peers. My 2nd trained at almost 3, my 3rd trained at 18 months. Currently training my 28 month old.
    I think generally the reason cloth diaper wearers train early is due at least partly to the parents - disposable diapering is much easier and therefore the parents aren't as eager to get them out of diapers.

Answer by missanc at 9:16 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• It makes sense. I used disposable, but when I was ready to train we went right to underwear. So it's the same concept. They feel the wetness.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:59 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• It makes sense. I used disposable, but when I was ready to train we went right to underwear. So it's the same concept. They feel the wetness we never used pull-ups because they are too much like diapers and it takes them longer to train
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:44 AM on Mar. 20, 2011