Iron overdose?

I am taking a prenatal vitamin that contains iron in it and it is called Tandem OB. It contains 106 mg of elemental iron and I only take this once a day. Today I went to the doctor and he told me my iron levels were low again so he prescribed me Niferex and it says to take one capsule by mouth twice a day but I do not know how many milligrams of iron it contains. I am just worried about overdosing. If you are anemic and pregnant, how many milligrams a day do you take of iron supplements? Or what are the names of the pills you take? Do any of you know how much is too much iron? I'm 34 weeks pregnant by the way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I would stick with doctors prescription and what it says to take.
    guitargirlygirl

Answer by guitargirlygirl at 9:59 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Your doctor is not going to overdose you on anything honey, especially not when you are pregnant! Iron is really important in regards to how much oxygenated blood baby is getting from you, so if he wants you to take the supplements, then take them!

(SIDE NOTE: Iron will make you constipated. Try taking a stool softener along with them, or watch your diet and eat food high in fiber and drink plenty of water when taking them)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:01 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I agree with a PP, your doctor isn't going to tell you to take something that will cause you to OD. Also, your body only absorbs 50% of the iron you ingest, including what's in your food, so you'll definitely know before you OD.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:02 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• no, u need alot of Iron to help you baby grow, health and alive. i did eat alot of iron meat, hot dog, eggs, bread, cookies and crackers from Iron. my baby big and health. i have huge belly ever . doctocr told me im very health mom care. i drink alot of water and milk most.
    whoishotmama

Answer by whoishotmama at 10:04 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I took Slow FE when my iron was found to be low. As for how much you need, it's going to vary from day to day based on what you eat and drink, so there's no good way to know how low you are (other than testing several times a day, and that's totally unnecessary). If you're worried, call your doctor before taking your second dose, just to make sure it's not too much. It's most likely perfectly fine, though, as this is a very common pregnancy ailment and doctor's are very familiar with it. You're most likely going to need more than the single dose, as baby takes so much iron away from you. I took two a day (plus my prenatal), and each one was 47.5 mg....it's over 500% for a normal person, but for a pregnant chick who's body is processing it SO quick, it was just fine. :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 10:50 PM on Nov. 24, 2008