Do you feed your cat only dry food? Also,do you have a trick to having the cat box not smell so darn bad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Pets

• Yes I only feed my cats Alley Cat cat food, because it's all I can afford. I have hard they don't need wet food anyway. As for the litter box, I change mine completely once a week but there is a Arm and Hammer powder that can go n the box that absorbs the odors, i just sprinkle it in there once every morning
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:04 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• No table scraps for our cats. All the dry food they can eat, and only one small tin of wet food split between 3 cats. With three cats, we have 4 litter boxes and clean them every day. No odor at all from any of the boxes.

(Aim for one litter box per cat and one extra)
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:07 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Though I don't have cats I know the litter box should be cleaned frequently & after cleaning put them under the sun to get rid of the bad odour...
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 2:09 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I should note that we purchase the "scoopable" litter and scoop out the boxes once per day, adding more litter as needed. I suppose we only throw out the litter once every 6 months or so to wash out the tubs.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:14 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• We have 4 cats , they are fed dry and wet cat food . Our old tomcat (16) won't eat cat food so he is fed raw and cooked human food . We use ordinary cat litter and the litter is changed every day, the boxes are washed before being refilled.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 2:37 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I have 3 cats and only feed them dry cat food. I agree with using the powder, but I dont use it. The litterboxes are in the basement so smell isnt really a issue.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 7:06 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Feeding cats dry food is best for them mainly because of oral and mouth health. It is a proven fact that wet food causes their teeth to get bad. As for the cat box, I have one cat, hes neutered and his urine does not smell bad, but I also have 2 cat boxes and change them daily. I also use that sprinkle in deodorizer, it helps a lot.
    CopingMom33

Answer by CopingMom33 at 7:42 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I give my cat who is a stray moist for food only once a day as a treat and leave dry food out all the time. And when i had her in the house, she used Fresh Step cat litter.
    4theloveofTink

Answer by 4theloveofTink at 7:56 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I only feed dry food, and maybe once every 6 months or so give a tin of wet food split between 2 cats. They don't really need the wet food. Dry food is best for oral health. As for the litter box, you can sprinkle baking soda in it to get rid of most of the smell. I would also scoop it out once a day, and then clean it out completely like once a month, or more if necessary.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:13 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

•  This is the litter you want to use and scoop it every day to cut down on odors.  Also, change out the litter completely once a week and hose out your litter box before you refill it.  I only feed our cats dry food, the wet food stinks and causes our kitchen to smell terrible (where the cat dishes are).

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:45 AM on Mar. 18, 2011