When your kids are in school...do you sleep all day because of depression?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Health

• I used to, until I got treated for my depression and anxiety.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:02 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I have been treated. I am on medicine for it. It seems like I go through it for a few weeks, then I am up and wide awake again. No matter how much sleep I get during the night, I always sleep till its time to get them from school, and I can even fall back asleep when they go to bed at night. I dont want my kids seeing me sleep, so on the weekends...its hard to force myself to stay awake. Ahh...I hate feeling like this. I have even been trying to find jobs, school, etc. The only thing that is stopping me is I have no after school care and no one to bring them to school, besides myself. Every job I have seen wants hours that either are before I have to bring them...or run in to the time that I would have to pick them up. I dont know what to do anymore.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:04 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Na freak out, the only thing is one should have enough money in pocket.. :-)
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 2:06 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• If all of your kids are in school and you don't really NEED the money, I would look into joining a local gym or something similar because by joining an excercise class, you are doing three things: 1) you are committing yourself to being somewhere at a certain time so you are less likely to go back to sleep and skip it. 2) Getting healthier will make you feel better and 3) it's been proven that regular exercise helps to fight depression and fatigue. I would REALLY look into adding exercise into your day every day somehow. Whether it's a class, a walk, or even just working outside. I used to go to cardio kickboxing classes and cycling classes, and I actually really enjoyed it and it boosted my energy. Good luck, if you need to chat feel free to message me!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:15 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• yes that is me all over
    ginhull

Answer by ginhull at 2:20 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• i still take afternoon naps and they are older now but yeh i sleep when kids where all in school but most night i stayed up getting things ready for them for school ,bake cookies for their bake sale for school ,mend their clothes made sure all home work was finish
    did load of laundry fold the clothes ,watch over sick child ,watch cat have kittens ,clean up after they went to bed ,picking up their toys and take the dogs for walk ,most morning i was up 5am to give to boys ride to school then send younger kids on the bus
    but i was never depressed
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 4:02 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• No. I have suffered from depression in the past though and it was tough. It took around 5 yrs to actually find the right combination of antidepressants to help me. Now I feel great. They actually had to put me on a mood stabilizer and an antidepressant.

Answer by gemgem at 7:47 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• No- my kids are not all in school yet. I'm sure if they had been last year, I definitely would have been sleeping all the time. But now I'm medicated, and I have learned several coping techniques, like getting moving to lift my mood, and deep breathing exercises for anxiety. It sounds like your meds should be adjusted or switched. I was having trouble being sleepy on one med, and the doc said he could switch me to a different one that helped with the energy factor. I've been pretty good ever since. I'm on Cymbalta now, and I swear, it's like I'm a different woman! I'm more active, and I'm slowly doing more and more. I was a sloth before. lol I would talk to the doc and see what he has to say. If he is unwilling to switch you to a new med that helps with the being tired thing, I'd see someone else. Good luck!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:10 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• No. I have some depression but I always stay busy.
    tastymama

Answer by tastymama at 2:10 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I've been that depressed before but didn't have kids. I might as well been a part of the couch because that's where I stayed all the time. The best thing to do is to find something to keep you busy. It may be hard at first but it's worth it. I'm still on meds but my life has improved quit a bit. I'm also a single mom now so going to work every day and taking care of my son really helps me.
    FroggyFeet

Answer by FroggyFeet at 1:46 AM on Mar. 22, 2011