My son is going to turn 1 year old next month. How and when should I take his pacifier away from him?

Right now I only give it to him when he takes a nap or goes to bed at night.

gavinsma07

Asked by gavinsma07 at 11:36 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i don't have that problem yet, though i might. But when i was a kid my older brother had a problem getting rid of it. So my mom told him to give it to Santa Clause, because Santa has given him so many presents, it's only nice to do so for him as well. *i.e. my brother wanted presents and he didn't want to lose that, so he learned it was good to give and recieve. Every year we gave our old toys to children and families that couldn't afford nice things and we were aloud to choose new ones.* Have a Good Day!
    Jennie_Bean

Answer by Jennie_Bean at 11:40 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I think it depends on when you think your child is ready. really, there isn't anything wrong with a pacifier. people will tell you over and over it will mess up their teeth or it will keep them from talking. My boy had his pacifier til just after two and he has a speech delay. BUT his friend who still has his paci and is two months older than my boy speaks in full sentences. So I really think it depends on when you think he is ready. I did it really slowly. I only let him have it at nighttime and naptime. Before that I tried to sneak it away from him when he wasn't looking, like when he was eating a really yummy snack. Then we tried to "accidentally" forget to give him his paci for naps and then for bed. I know this seems like the long way around and other people have done it other ways. But this way from pretty peaceful and he hasn't asked for a paci in months and months and months. When he sees one, he just gives it to whoever it belongs to rather than sticking it in his mouth.
    macylee36

Answer by macylee36 at 11:44 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• same as some of the others said it will not hurt him to have it just keep doing what you are doing giving only at nap and bed thats what i did,he will eventully give it up on his own both my kids did
    proudmomie97

Answer by proudmomie97 at 11:52 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My daughter weened herself from the binkie when she was 3 months old because she found her thumb and now she's weening herself off of that. But I know the sooner the better because a binkie can cause problems with teeth coming in straight and decaying at an earlier age.
    Babyduche

Answer by Babyduche at 12:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I tried many times between the age of 1 and 2 with our daughter. When I stopped trying, she stopped wanting the passy. I would just let him decide with the encouragement and help of mommie and daddy of course when he needs to let go.
    mommyjen1980

Answer by mommyjen1980 at 12:10 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• We cut the tips of the nipples off of them and told her that the mice ate them. She believed it. If you cut the tips off they just collapse and arent comforting, so they wont want them. Otherwise just put a little slit in it.
    princessTnBabyB

Answer by princessTnBabyB at 12:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I would do it as soon as possible, I had so much trouble with my oldest son when it came to his binkie! I tried so many things until finally one day I just took them all away and he cried for a couple days but it was worth it! It was such a hassle when we would lose one when we were out and about.
    DesUmana

Answer by DesUmana at 12:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My son LOVED his binky, but we limited to just naps and bedtime when he was about a year old. Around 2 I started worrying that he would never give it up, so we borrowed some kid's books from the library, that were great stories to read to him, and introduced the idea that "you're gonna have to give this thing up." Then the Binky Fairy came, and took all the pacifiers to the new babies in the hospital that needed them, and in its place he left a big boy present...it worked. He still asked for it, but when we reminded him he was a big boy, he was like "OK." Good luck!
    mamadancer

Answer by mamadancer at 12:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Well you are off to a pretty good start. I had 3 out of 4 chronic pacifier suckers. Now is a good time, it gets worse as you allow baby to continue past a year old. Start taking away gradually for at least one rest period. Try getting baby to sleep without it. For one of my children I just went cold turkey and just let her go through withdrawals. It was tough to hear cry, but it only took a week. Out of sight, out of mind.
    jojomomuv

Answer by jojomomuv at 7:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2008