I'm gaining weight even though I workout 2-3 hours a day and eating 1200-1500 calories...what's going on?

So what's going on with me? I do at least 1-1.5 hours of cardio 6 times a week (running 4-6 miles, elliptical, cycling, etc), I also do weight training 5 times a week. I clean and healthy meals and I count calories (1200-1500 cal). I went from 108 lbs (which was my goal weight) to 115 lbs in one month. I know my thyroid is fine, nothing else has changed so why the weight gain?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• Sounds to me that you are gaining muscle. Fat weighs less then muscle, if you take a pound of fat and a pound of muscle there will be more fat and less, more dense muscle. So as you lose fat and gain muscle you will in turn gain weight but lose mass. You will be smaller, toned and fit but weigh more. I'm short at 5 feet even! And was at my fittest at about 16-17 years old when I did Tae Kwon Do 7 days a week and weighed 135 pounds! Now I weigh 115 and have this flabby gut! haha Awww, to weigh a fit 135 again!
    mommy_of3boys

Answer by mommy_of3boys at 12:35 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• oh my god i know,,i always weighed 120,,im 150...exercise every day ...eat perfect...thyroid fine ,,someone said stress ..the hormone cortisol,..who knows? im ready to see Dr..something is wrong
    cameron536

Answer by cameron536 at 2:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I just did a journal on this. About muscle weighing more than fat! BTW...just curious, are you giving each body part a break every other day? Maybe you already are, but you want t work only your arms, the next day your legs and butt, the next your shoulders, etc. Also, do you drink water?
    DreamnBigEliza

Answer by DreamnBigEliza at 2:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I am curious how long you have been on your current program? Are you challenged by your workouts?
    AmonMom

Answer by AmonMom at 4:56 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I strength train 5 times a week and a different body part everyday. I'll do bicep and triceps one day. Legs another day. Back another, abs another, and chest and shoulders another day. I try to always challenge my workouts...when I run , I'll do intervals throwing in sprints and long runs. I also always do intervals on the elliptical, doing high and low intensity. I do a bunch of different workouts so my body does not get used to it. Hmmm...I drink the recommended 8 glasses of water a day and sometimes more. I don't know what's going on, it's so frustrating!!! I just want to get back to my goal weight.
    Anonymous

• All the answers posted on here are correct. As you slim down the fat, you gain muscle. And muscle outweighs the fat as it is building up. If you're concerned about the number, just run everytime you work out and do light weights every other workout.
    PlasticSurgeon

Answer by PlasticSurgeon at 1:53 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Sounds like youre gaining muscle weight.
    Have you recently started taking birth control pills??
    I quit them because I gained 10 lbs. in 1 month and couldnt loose anything!
    davesgirl86

Answer by davesgirl86 at 3:58 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Hi I just want to invite you to my new south beach super charged group! i'm hoping to get a fun group of moms who will keep active and be supportive!!! hope to see you there!!! good luck!
    hugs shuli

http://www.cafemom.com/group/51575
    shuli2

Answer by shuli2 at 10:32 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Maybe you're working out too hard and not eating enough. Your body may be in starvation mode and is holding onto some weight b/c it trying to survive. Or like all the others say, muscle weighs more than fat so don't look at the scale, go by how your clothes are fitting! A lot of people quit after a month b/c they have gained weight (due to muscle gain) thinking that their workout isn't working for them. So go with how your clothes feel. After you build muscle your resting metabolic rate will be higher. The more muscle you have the more calories you'll be buring while you are just sitting and watching TV.
    Dylansmomma

Answer by Dylansmomma at 9:42 AM on Jul. 12, 2008