Could by 2 year old have a UTI *update*

Okay, I asked this question last week because my 2 year old son was crying and saying "pee pee hurt" when he pees. It's not all the time, but about a couple of times a day he does this. I took him to the doctor and they tested his urine. It came back normal but he is still doing the same thing...saying it hurts. So, my doctor wants me to take him to a specialist at Children's Memorial Hospital...what the heck could this be!?!?! It is so wierd, he doesn't cry every time he pees, only sometimes but when he does he acts like someone is killing him..like it really hurts. Has anyone else delt with this?

sassyhettel

Asked by sassyhettel at 10:16 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Is he drinking more juice and milk than water? I would try giving him more water during the day and see if that doesn't help. GL
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 10:19 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• bubble bath will give children a uti not comon in boys but can happen.
    mom3898

Answer by mom3898 at 10:20 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Have you noticed if his "pee pee" is stiff when he complains about pain? My boys complain that it hurts from time to time when it's stiff and they try going potty.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• my son had the same thing 3 months ago but his test came back neg also finnaly one day he was peeing and he screamed there was blood in his urine. he did have a uti it was just to early to tell when he was tested. and it is not common in boys but they can get it.my son only complained every now and then .
    bittersweet7791

Answer by bittersweet7791 at 12:09 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• My son was around 2 when he had his UTI, his is caused by mild kidney reflux. we had gone to the dr, they tested his diaper becuase he would not pee in a cup. It came back fine, it continued and finally we went to the ER. Turns out he did have a UTI and was treated with antibiotics for it. Because of his age and the fact hes a boy we ended up having a VCUG done (which if your son has to have one done in the future, make sure they sedate him). I would definatly have him checked out ASAP again, its very painful to have a uti and even worse so for a little child.
    trusting_in_HIM

Answer by trusting_in_HIM at 2:06 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Oh and give him cranberry juice mixed with water as well.
    trusting_in_HIM

Answer by trusting_in_HIM at 2:07 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Thank you everyone! I am going to keep a close eye on him and if he continues to cry when he pees I am going to take him back! It is just so frustrating when you know something is wrong with your child and the doctor says he is fine. Thanks so much!
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 10:08 AM on Nov. 25, 2008