Horrific Accident - how do you get the scene out of your head?

We were in Houston yesterday, just for the day, and were out having breakfast with MIL ~ right in front of the restaurant a driver ran a red light and hit a girl on a motorcycle (thank God the girl was wearing her helmet ~ but she got hit so hard that it knocked her helmet off)
Anyhow, when I stood up to see what had happened outside..... NO ONE was going to help this girl. She was laying on the ground by the curb ~ rolling around in sheer pain. Her leg had been shattered and ripped WIDE open, skin hanging off the bone, bones sticking through her jeans. I looked around and people were just standing around screaming at her "Don't Move!".... BUT NO ONE was going to her to help. Are you kidding me!!??
So me and one of the workers from the restaurant went out to help. He held her leg together and pinched off the blood while I held her hands and kept her from moving.
Her name was Elizabeth.

Someone found her phone and came over and handed it to me ~ I handed it away and told someone to get in her phone and find her mom's number ~ this girl was 21/22 years old.
It was all I could do to keep her from moving. (She had seen her leg before I got outside - and she was asking me if she was gonna die and asking me if she was gonna lose her leg ~ she was in shock, but she was aware of everything that had just happened~ the guy holding her leg was having a hard time hanging on to it and we couldn't let her bleed out). I finally had to tell her that if she wanted to help save her leg that she was gonna have to be still and concentrate on me... I kept her talking and breathed with her to bring her heart rate down as much as could be possible in the situation.

Having two kids her age, I couldn't NOT help her - even if all I could do was to hold her hand, talk to her and keep her as calm as possible until help arrived. She was someone's baby laying there with her leg practically gone. (Inside my heart was breaking for her). When EMTs got there, she wouldn't let go of me and was screaming and reaching for me saying "Don't leave me, please!" So the EMT made a space for me and told me to keep talking to her. I did everything I could until I had to pry her hand out of mine and clamped it onto the EMT's forearm.

When I got up and backed away - someone handed her phone back to me - her mom was on the phone - I explained to her mom what had happened, which hospital they were going to and stayed on the phone with her while they loaded Elizabeth into the ambulance and found out where they were taking her. When Mom hung up, one of the EMT's came over to me (he thought I was her mom), I told him I wasn't - but asked him about Elizabeth's leg - he said he didn't know if they could save it. I asked him about blood loss ~ he said that we had pinched it off well enough that blood loss was minimal..... Thank God for that - it may be the only plus - and may be a helpful factor in helping to save her leg.

Her mom arrived at the scene about 5 minutes after they left in the ambulance with her. When she got there, I walked out where I could see her and she 'mouthed' my name ~ I nodded at her and she came to me and fell apart. Now while I stood there with Elizabeth's blood all over me, I held Mom up while she cried~ I urged her to calm herself and gather herself ~ (I kind of gathered that Liz and Kathy were all each other had in this big city). Kathy was taking care of business so that she could go and take care of Liz. So it was important to get Kathy thinking quickly. Once she calmed, I gave her Elizabeth's phone, got the keys from the motorcycle and took her daughter's personal affects out of the hatch - then urged Mom to GO, head for the hospital.

I told her that I would call to check on Liz - but I never got Elizabeth's last name - so I can't get any kind of update on her.

We drove the 3 hours back home yesterday ~ DH did everything he could to keep my mind off of it. But at 2:15AM I woke up thinking about Elizabeth and can't go back to sleep. I will try to get the police report so that I can get her name ~ maybe that way I can at least find out if she got to keep her leg.

How do you get these scenes out of your head?
Anyhow, thanks for letting me write all this down ~ maybe that'll help.

ShelbyShareAlot

Asked by ShelbyShareAlot at 5:31 AM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• Man that is hard!!! I do not think it will ever go away. It will fade away. You will stop thinking about it. Maybe after you find out she is ok it will help?

Answer by louise2 at 6:03 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Time is the only thing that will get out of your head. I'm proud of you for going to her aid when she needed someone the most. That took guts. Your a special type of person. I hope that you know how special you are. You make me want to cry. I'm just so proud that you wrote about. I did not think people like you still exsisted. I am one of those people who's lost hope in mankind. God bless you.
    Parka54

Answer by Parka54 at 6:07 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Parka ~ I'm not any kind of special, in the least. Like I said, leaving her there alone was not an option. I'm a mom who saw a child hurt ~ she was a baby that needed help ~ that's all I saw. That's all that mattered.

I asked DH later why and how people in that city could just stand around screaming at her, but not help her... he said "Aids"... I looked at him funny and he told me that the district we were in was primarily gay and that people are afraid. That sounded like a stupid reason to me. (Maybe I was still in shock myself)..... No, I don't want aids, but at the same time, even now after I'm calm I believe that if I gave my life saving someone's child, then it was worth it.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 6:25 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• louise2 is right. It takes time. 18 years ago a terrible accident occured in front of my house. I was standing at the window of my house waiting for my sister to come pick me up as we were heading out. As she was turning into my driveway, a pick up truck traveling at a high rate of speed crashed into her car. She was critically injured, had to be cut out of her car and flown by medical helicopter to a trauma center.
    For days after the accident, I couldn't sleep. Everytime I closed my eyes, I saw the pick up striking her car and her car spinning before coming to a stop. Then, the images didn't appear as often. Gradually, the images stopped. I can still remember what happened and can play the scene in my mind when I think about it, but it doesn't overwhelm me like it first did.
    You are a wonderfully caring person to do what you did. Give it time.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:57 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I am so sorry. Call the hospital and give them the informationl They could perhaps put you in touch with the family. You could also contact the news department of the papaer of tv station for help.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:58 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I am so proud of you for coming to her aid, I am sure that would be so hard to get out of your head, i know i would have a hard time, but you were there for a reason and Elizabeth needed you.
    What you can do is try to get the police report and since you know what hospital she is at, talk to the administration and tell them that you were there when she was in this accident and tell them that you are worried bout her, according to HIPPA they will not be allowed to give you any info and tell them you know that but you want to get a message to Elizabeth and her Mother and give them your phone number, I bet they will help you. Also look on the internet for accident info in the area, they may have gotten the info with her name. Good luck! let me know what you find out.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 8:03 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I wish there were more people in the world like you!WOW.I will pray for you and I hope you will find that girl again!Yeah I'm sure it will be in the paper about the accident.
    shannon2206

Answer by shannon2206 at 8:11 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Why were most people standing around?? Because most people don't have any first aid or medical training to know what to do beyond calling 911 and saying that an accident with injuries occurred. Because people are afraid of being sued when they do help because it might not go right and they can be sued for helping where they can't be sued for no action.

What you did was noble, but not everyone rushes in without thinking.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:56 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• You can’t and it will fresh in your memory for now. Elizabeth was lucky to have you hold her hand. Her mother will be forever grateful. The hospital has records on time’s patients are brought in so you can always call and just mention her first name and her injuries. I believe they can find out for you.

On a side note and to be on the safe side you should get yourself tested for AIDS. Just to be safe.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:06 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I'm so sorry about this. You have suffered a trauma as well - and may feel some symptoms of Post traumatic stress. (sometimes called Secondary post traumatic stress) I suggest seeing a therapist who specializes in trauma or at least educating yourself about PTSD. It is normal to relive the incident and to see the images in your mind. This young woman was so lucky to have you by her side. Please take care of yourself.
    Kerby

Answer by Kerby at 6:34 PM on Mar. 19, 2011