Really, who does this?

yesterday i waited on a family..the little boy had chicken pox all over him. The mom was scratching him. I was so pissed. I was just wondering who would really go to a sitdown restaurant with their chicken pox kid and then sit there and scratch them? I didnt clear their table or anything while they were there. i waited until they were gone and went and got sanitizer and gloves.

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 7:50 AM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Yuck. Contagious or not, the mom sitting there scratching him is disgusting and not something I'd want to see while eating at a restaurant. Very tacky.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:47 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I think chicken pox is contagious before the breakout. But even so I probably would have gotten a manager.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:56 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Chicken Pox are contagious until the blisters are crusted over and you can still get a mild case of them even with the vaccine. They can last 2-3 weeks. Maybe they were coming home from a Dr appointment or maybe they just needed to get out of the house, maybe they were celebrating something and Mom thought the kid deserved a treat. Who knows? Either way, if his blisters were dried out then I don't see the big deal. I also wanted to add that it may not have been chicken pox at all. My son has had a rash several times that looks exactly like the pox before they crust over but it's just an allergic reaction to something that he ate.
    MamaLori

Answer by MamaLori at 8:16 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Ugh. I would have gotten the manager to ask them to leave. Despite the fact that Chicken Pox is rarely considered highly dangerous, it is still contagious! It's so irresponsible to expose other people that way.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 7:54 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• He may have been at the stage where the blisters where healing over. In any event, I think it is wise to keep them home and comfortable. Don't be so quick to judge you don't know the full story and are not a doctor. Kids go back to school with the scabs still on them. Scratching at the table is just gross, and would not happen in MY home let alone a public place.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:16 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I think you aren't contagious anymore once the pox come out. You are contagious before.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:53 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Once the pox appears, you are not contagious. But still, that little boy would probably have been more comfortable at home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Id be wondering who brings their kid on with uncomfortable chicken pox in the first place? Id also be wondering why they had them. I thought there was a chicken pox vaccine now?

Answer by gemgem at 7:58 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• too many folks do this now. jeesh
    geezers

Answer by geezers at 8:40 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I not really sure if it is contagious or not she should have him at home scratching him there.
    Its just common courtesy to keep your child home whenever they MIGHT have a contagious disease.
    jnb71584

Answer by jnb71584 at 9:23 AM on Mar. 18, 2011