Buddha and Jesus...just avatars of the higher power?

I saw an answer through here once (I don't remember where so forgive me if I can't give you credit) but it really made sense to me for some reason. What if Jesus was just a reincarnate of Buddha? Perhaps there are more avatars that are linked to one higher being? Does that makes sense or am I off my rocker lol. Just a random though though and would be interested to see what others think

I corrected my error. Jesus came AFTer Buddha

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 7:57 AM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• "Buddha only could give you a set of moral codes to try and enhance your life, but Jessus COULD and CAN FIX YOUR LIFE.. "

No, Buddha gave the tools one needs to realize their inner strength and inner divinity to overcome whatever it is, with their inner strength. To learn to rely on oneself and the love and light of others. Because when our inner light and love encompasses us completely, it reaches outward to all others. It becomes like a ripple effect. WE are all connected.
    No one can fix your life but yourself. It starts within.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:05 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• if Buddha was real, I think he took the gift of wisdom and put himself on the same level as God which if Pride.

--

Buddha never claimed to be God. Buddhism is a non-theistic philosophy. I practice Buddhism, and I happen to be a Naturalistic Pantheist. Other Buddhists may be atheists, theistics, or anything in between. The Buddha was a teacher. We read his writings like the advice of an old friend. We can all be Buddhas.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:06 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Paul called them false teachers and liars.

--

Now that I've read the other answers, I also want to add that I, personally, do not believe that Jesus ever actually claimed to be the Son of God or the Messiah. I believe he was a prophet, philosopher, or teacher of the time (it's possible the sayings are from more than one teacher too), and this was combined with God-men or savior myths that were prevalent in the surrounding areas. Most of the gospels are elaborate expansions of Mark and a book of sayings like Q (without the narrative that was added to the gospels later). The Gospel of Thomas (also a collection of sayings) is probably based on Q as well.

I also believe that Paul is the 'false prophet' that Jesus was referring to and the Asians seem to agree in the Bible, but I understand that many people believe that Paul is right. I think that it IS possible to follow Jesus without being a Pauline Christian.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:59 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I practice Buddhism, and I'm a former Christian who still follows some of Jesus' teachings.

I believe they were BOTH fully HUMAN. I believe they were both wise, enlightened men. Buddhas, which means they were 'awake'. We all have the potential to become Buddhas. Most of us are just 'part-time' Buddhas to paraphrase Thich Nhat Hanh since most of us are not fully enlightened. I believe Jesus and Buddha had similar teachings on love and compassion, and that when Jesus said 'I am the Way.' he meant HIS LIFE is the way. We have to look at his life and teachings to follow his way IMO.

I highly recommend reading Living Buddha, Living Christ by Thich Nhat Hanh, and a Jesus and Buddha: The Parallel Sayings by Marcus Borg if you're interested in how similar their teachings really are. There are more books out there too.

I believe many Hindus believe Jesus and Buddha were avatars of Vishnu, so that may be what you read.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:49 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I think both were teacher, trying to better the world around them. I like both of them. I do not believe in god though, so I wouldn't call them avatars, but if there is a god I would think god would be like the Tao. I do think there are things that can be learned from both Jesus and Buddha, but I do not think they were divine beings/incarnations.

l.o.v.e

Answer by l.o.v.e at 8:52 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• " I believe that God put everyone on this planet for a reason but it is up to us use our time wisely for his cause. IMO if Buddha was real, I think he took the gift of wisdom and put himself on the same level as God"

And if there were a god, I'd think Buddha is exactly what that god would want of us.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:55 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I don't see how Buddha put himself in the place of god? He just found a philosophy on life and wanted to share it with others.

l.o.v.e

Answer by l.o.v.e at 9:02 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Buddha is not a god though, and he never claimed to be.

l.o.v.e

Answer by l.o.v.e at 9:04 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• You contradict yourself. Acts9:15 But the Lord said unto him;; Go thy way for his is a chosen vessel unto me to bear my name before the Gentile and kings and the children of Isreal. He was a teacher for the gentiles.

--

I don't believe that happened, because I don't believe in a physical resurrection. Though Paul may have believed he had a vision of Christ. Hardly anyone else even calls Paul a prophet except himself. I believe Jesus knew people would twist his teachings into something it was not.

"This you know, that all those in Asia have turned away from me." 2Timothy 1:15
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:11 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• "Only those who realize how limited they truly are and depend on the Power of God to truly Overcome themselves will be successful spiritually, emotionally, and mentally."

I tend to get cautious when people speak in absolutes..."ONLY these people...."
    It's not very productive and is a way to shut people down. It's a shame peopel resort to using those words. It's very limiting for yourself, first and foremost.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:13 AM on Mar. 18, 2011