How many of you DON'T have antiviral for your computer?

I know people that have antiviral software and they still get a virus on their computer!I haven't updated mine yet but was wondering how you get one with having software!What are signs that your computer is infected?I am computer illiterate and don't know much about them.My computer has more pop-ups and it is starting to freeze up here and there but I don't notice much other than that.I just was wondering.....what antiviral do you recommend?I don't do banking or anything else on-line-I use it just for fun!

shannon2206

Asked by shannon2206 at 7:59 AM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I am using Avast. Its 100% free to use. You can buy it but why? Signs your infected can vary widely. Your browser may abruptly switch pages on you, get pop ups, run slow, crash for no reason, not start up at all. The list is endless. Whatever you do DO NOT go to some page that claims they can rid your computer of virus's with a free scan. They will tell you that you have tons of virus when you have none, and to protect you they have to remove them but you have to pay. GOOGLE "AVAST" and get their free download. The software runs in the background, updates itself and is for me 100% effective in preventing infection. Stay away from Norton, and McAfee. They really do SUCK ASS.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:16 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I use TrendMicro, but there's also AVG, it's free and easy to use. You can download them off the internet and you don't have to have software for them. I would recommend getting one ASAP- sounds like you have an infection. Viruses can actually lock down your entire system- I don't know how many comps I have fixed for the guys at my DH's work that the ONLY problem was a virus.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:26 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I run Linux.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:04 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• If you are using a windows based system and don't have a simple virus protect - you are risking your computer. Only Apple computers are typically safe from viruses. Basic AVG is free to download and use. Viruses can lock down your entire system, they can send spam out to your email contacts, they can bombard you with popups, etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:05 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• ooh good lawd, that's like sleeping around without condoms. I use Norton but quite frankly it's crap on it's own. I also use Ad-Aware and a seperate firewall.
    spastic_poodle

Answer by spastic_poodle at 10:04 PM on Mar. 19, 2011