Another tip question...

Yesterday my daughter and I went to a later lunch (we got there around 1) so that the lunch crowd would be clearing out. There was a group of red hatters in the back (with a server for just them) and about a dozen tables with customers including ours. For those tables there were four servers (my point here is that the restaurant was not crowded or understaffed). My daughter ordered a burger, I ordered soup and salad. My soup was out before our drinks, but it took 20 minutes to get my daughter's burger and when it came it was slightly cold and didn't come with mayo and had tomatoes and onions on it (not how she ordered it) and my salad didn't come out with her burger. The servers are supposed to make the salads at this restaurant, and it took another 10 minutes to get my salad from our server. When it did come out it had no cheese, bacon or croutons (which is how it is supposed to come), and it had onions - even though I ordered it without them. I did not get the garlic toast with it and the rolls that are supposed to come with the drinks were brought out when we almost done with our meal.  My drink was refilled once, but my daughter's never was. We were not rude to the server, even with the lack of service. When I paid she asked if I needed change, which to me was asking for a tip and I think that's pretty rude considering the service we received. Also, before you jump on the "they don't even make min wage" bandwagon, yes, they do. I know several servers at this restaurant and they make $8/hour. Would you have tipped the server for this kind of service?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 9:02 AM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• I would have asked to speak to the manager. If the manager was going to help take care of us then I may tip a very small amount but if not then, no I would not tip. At that point it would be bad enough I was paying full price for a lousy meal.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:05 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Ouch. That sounds like pretty lousy service. Yes, I probably would have tipped anyway, just because I'd feel bad stiffing someone, but I wouldn't have tipped very well. And honestly, I probably would have said something at some point during the visit to make it clear that I wasn't happy anyway--not rudely, but I wouldn't have hesitated to send the burger back or ask for a refill on my kid's drink.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:07 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I always tip a little but I think I would have had to say something about the food not being right..even ask if the kitchen is having an off day and let them know what you didnt like about your meal.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:07 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I would have asked for the manager way before the end of the meal.

Answer by missanc at 9:07 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• yes. i wouldve. where i work there may be 6 servers on the floor but we are also doing other jobs too because the company is too cheap to pay min wage. ..they want to pay us servers 2.13 an hour to do all the work. so we must tend to the guests, run the cash register, make shakes..etc..., prep food for the day and other shifts, sometimes we get pulled to drive thru, dish room, we are over loaded and stressed. its not our fault..its poor management.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:11 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I probally would'nt have left a tip and i have waitressed for years. not anymore but i am a good tipper but that is not good service at all, alot do not make min. wage but they need to work for thier tips and they didn't.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:11 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Some of it sounds like the kitchen and I never make the server suffer for what the kitchen does. Did you say anything?

Also I wonder from what you described ifshe just started? If things are going bad like that I would have asked her that.

But she would have still gotten a tip.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 9:20 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• My rule is if you don't make my time at that restaurant like I'm a QUEEN, you don't get a 20% tip (obviously not many get a 20% tip from me...but some get more...). And then the tip dwindles from there. Not refilling my drink is a HUGE no-no in my book and your tip with quickly go down if you don't do that and continue to go down the longer it take you to refill my drink. I have many times leave a restaurant without giving a tip.

I look at tips as though the waiter/waitress has to earn it. I'm basically giving them a hand-out, so they are going to have to work for it. Don't want to work for it? You don't get my money. Don't rightly care if they make minimum wage or not.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:31 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I would have given her a low tip, but something.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:37 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• If she was genuinely having a hard time keeping up and was very apologetic about the situation, I would still tip her. If she was rude and didn't care, she would get nada!
    mommyxdos

Answer by mommyxdos at 9:37 AM on Mar. 18, 2011