What would a person who lives in the states (midwest)...

...have to do, if they wanted to move to Canada? What steps would they need to take? How much money would they need to have, etc...? I need any and all info you have please! Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Travel

• me and my husband looked into it years ago and its very confusing. i do know that its easier to get a vista if you have some sort of education behind you. but the best info that you can get is to go to the canadian embasy near you or to talk to canadian imigration.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:20 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• The Immigration Application

Here are the steps you need to go through to immigrate to Canada.

Complete an official application form.

Pay an application processing fee. It ranges from $75 for a family class applicant to $1,000 for business applicants.

Pay a Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF) if you are 19 or over and are applying for permanent resident status. The $975 fee is refundable if permanent resident status is not granted. Refugees are loaned the money for the fee.

If you are applying from abroad, you could be subject to an interview and required to provide documents and go through a medical exam.

You can make your application at any of several regional centres across Canada or 79 offices abroad.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/becomingcanadian/
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 9:21 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I would say no more/no less than if you moved to just another state. Do you think things are different if you life in a midwest state as opposed to an eastern state?

Nevertheless... There are probably immigration laws you would have to deal with being they are another country. And have an updated passport. I wouldn't try moving away from home without a job waiting for me and at least $2-$3K to pay for first/last month rent and to just get things that are needed.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:22 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Just curious why Canada? I am just South of the border.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:27 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• i just wanted to say gl if you guys do move up there you will love it. me and my husband always loved it when we went there to visit. the people are wonderful and its so beautiful. if we could afford it and had jobs waiting for us up there we would move in a heartbeat.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:28 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I have a friend that lives here (a guy friend) that met a girl through a ministry and she lives in Canada. He wants to "make his way" to Canada. Starting by moving to Kansas City (We live in Missouri) and making his way to Canada. I've told him it's a bad decision, but he's still thinking about it. He doesn't even have a job lined up in KC.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:40 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• maybe he could look in to just relocating to canada right off instead of "moving up" that way.....? but i think there like here you have to prove why you want to be in the country and if your able to secure a job....i think the best thing to do would to contact an imgeration office for canada
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:53 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I agree with cara- check with immigration. You may be able to find information online. Good luck to your friend. Canada is beautiful. :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:01 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• If you move permanently and get Canadian citizenship, then you become an ex patriot of the United States and give up your rights as an American. I'm not 100% sure what all that entails, but it's worth looking into before making such a huge decision.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:18 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Well even though Canada accepts Americans in their country its DARN hard to get a job there. My friend met a guy moved there and couldn't work for 1 year then after that no one was hiring in her field. She had to rely on her boyfriend now Husband for support and she said it was very hard had to give up internet and other fun things to make it until she got a job.
    A single person will have a HECK of a time trying to live there and it is very, very expensive as well.
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 6:14 PM on Mar. 19, 2011