How long do you stay engorged?

After 5 pregnancies and 6 children, you would think I would remember but I can't. How long do your breasts stay engorged after delivery? Oh it hurts so bad and I'm trying to just breast feed so my milk production can regulate itself without being messed up by a breast pump but yowzers!!!

Dabberdoo

Asked by Dabberdoo at 9:19 AM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had to use a breast pump because mine were that bad that he couldn't even latch on. but i think if i remember right it was a few days. like 2
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:21 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Pump for comfort as soft breasts make for an easier latch. Engorgement will vary. It depends on how aggressive your LO is at nursing.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:22 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• He eats fine but I wouldn't say he is "aggressive". And I have seriously considered pumping on one side because I have an inverted nipple and he has a little more trouble latching on that side but eventually he gets it. He likes to pop on and off (on both sides) which is driving me a little batty. He is great at getting a let down and then making a mess everywhere! :) I'm hoping he quits doing that once I'm no longer engorged, too.
    Dabberdoo

Comment by Dabberdoo (original poster) at 9:26 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• with my first I only nursed for the hospital stay which was 2 days then she wouldn't do it so I gave up it took me 3 weeks to dry up with her. With my second I nursed her until I started drying up at 2 weeks I had very little so I stopped nursing and it only took a day to dry up
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:30 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• It can be as long as six weeks.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:37 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Oh, gee, thanks for the encouragement, gdiamante!!! ROFL Goodness. I sure hope it doesn't last that long!!
    Dabberdoo

Comment by Dabberdoo (original poster) at 10:54 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Usually a few weeks. If you are pumping extra, it can take longer for supply to regulate and engorgement to subside. If you're just nursing on demand, it can sometimes regulate after 2-3 weeks, but I agree with Gdiamante, that 6 weeks is about the longest I'd expect.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:07 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Oh, and look into breast shells for the inverted nipple. You wear it in between feedings, and it can help draw the nipple out.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:08 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I used them with my first pregnancy and didn't find them to be very helpful. Its going well on that side. Actually, its going better this time than any previous nursing experience. And it only took 6 babies to finally feel like I really know what I'm doing! LOL I hope my daughters won't be as ignorant about breast feeding as I was when I first started having children. I hope to be able to help them when their time comes.
    Dabberdoo

Comment by Dabberdoo (original poster) at 8:16 PM on Mar. 18, 2011