Is it cheating if you're boyfriend & girlfriend?

I had to come back in here and ask this question, because I was in another post before and someone gave an answer that it wouldn't be considered cheating since they are just boyfriend and girlfriend. hmmmmmmmmmmmm

So if you are dating or even engaged and he goes with another woman behind your back, is it not considered cheating?
In order for it to be considered cheating, he has to be married?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Relationships

• It's still cheating. A long time ago it used to be normal when a man and woman dated for them to date many people at once. My grandmother once told me that she loved going on dates and that it wasn't always with the same person. It wasn't cheating back then. It was just the way it was. It was considered cheating if you became steady, engaged, or got married.

Some people today consider it not to be cheating if you're not exclusive. However, most people today consider it to be exclusive the moment you're asked out. So it really depends on your relationship.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 12:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• You do not have to be married to be cheating on someone. If you are in an exclusive relationship it is cheating if he goes with any other woman for any reason.
    DeannaDean

Answer by DeannaDean at 1:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I would think the boundaries set in the relationship would determine the answer to that. I'm exclusive with my SO (my choice) however, he has the freedom to see others if he so chooses. (our agreement) I'm more confident with this arrangement. I know he's with me bc he chooses to be and not out of some obligation to be. I know he can be with other women so I'm more aware of how I treat him so he doesn't want to be with others.
    It's the term "forsaking all others" in the marital vows that usually make ppl think that it's only in marriage that one can cheat on another.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:40 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I would be livid - cheating is just as bad whether with a partner, in marriage - it comes in with the comittment between two people not to hurt one anothers feelings.
    busymum66

Answer by busymum66 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Its cheating.
    wildfinches

Answer by wildfinches at 2:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• ok, if you are in a committed relationship w/someone (boyfriend/girlfriend, husband/wife)and you go and do something with another person, it's cheating. plain and simple
    Dark_Princess_2

Answer by Dark_Princess_2 at 3:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I agree with the person above me.
    kittie1919104

Answer by kittie1919104 at 10:25 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I consider it cheating.
    You two arent friends. You are boy/girl friend or youre engaged. You have labeled yourselves as a COUPLE and have made yourselves EXCLUSIVE! I would be furious if my boyfriend was with another girl, even more if I was engaged to him!
    davesgirl86

Answer by davesgirl86 at 3:53 PM on Jul. 10, 2008