I am so hurt, and so shocked at what he said!

I babysit this little boy in my home, and he is by far the spawn of the devil. I swear it! He bites, pinches, scratches, pulls hair, kicks, punches, slaps, you name it he does it. He screams, and curses up a storm.

He says many curse words, and I teach my children that even though he says curse words, that it doesnt mean my children are allowed to say them. That he may act out, but my children know better... So I thought.

My children and I were spending the day at my mother in laws house, and the kids hadnt takin a nap. I am not making an excuse for my son, but my mother in law says he may have also been sleepy....

Well I was on this swing, and my son wanted to get on it. We were playing around, and he said very calmly, "I went to get on the swing please" I said.. "No wait, I just got on it, give me at least a minute" Of course I was just teasing him, and he says to me, still very calm "Let me get on the swing...." wait for it!! "bitch" My mouth dropped! I said "what did you just say??" He looked at me right after he said it and said "oh nevermind! I didnt say anything.. I didnt mean to!!" I grabbed him by the arm and put his butt in time out.

I got all of our things and went straight home. I made him brush his teeth and go to bed 30 minutes before his brother. He fell straight to sleep. The next morning I asked him what he did wrong, and he knew what he did.. he said a bad word.

I am so very sad, I cried. I didnt want my son picking up these nasty habits, I wanted to protect him! I know he will go to school one day, and it will be worse, but still, my baby is my baby....

I think his punishment was good enough. He apologized, and hasnt said a bad word since!

The little boys mother wants me to use pepper in his mouth when he curses, but sorry, time out works, I will NOT do what she asks me to do. I refuse. He is NOT my child...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Mar. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• you did the right thing with your son, sounds like that other kid is influencing yours. I wouldn't do what the Mom says to do with her kid. but maybe you should reconsider watching this other kid.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:35 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• i would start babysitting a diff kid i wouldent want that around my child...
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 9:35 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I don't know how much you depend on the money you receive from watching the boy but the bad influence and problems you are having with him....I don't think it is worth it. The child is learning these words from somewhere and my guess would be at home and for the mother to ask you to put pepper in his mouth....sounds like she is the one whom needs the pepper, that kind of word is not something he has made up and the behavior is also a learned problem. Sad the little one is getting punishment for something his own mommy has let him be around. The punishment you gave your son was good, but if the other problem child continues to come over with such bad behavior I'm afraid as young as your son is, it's going to be tough for him to not pick the bad things up, good luck but I really would look into another child to take his place
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 9:39 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• You are not going to stop it. When he is exposed to it. Do you consistently put the other child in time out when he uses these words and inappropriate behavior. It is your responsibility while he is in your care.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:39 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• i would inform the lady of the child that if she doesnt correct this behavior you wont be watching him anymore. and no you wont put pepper in his mouth.
    i think you did the right thing but i would seriously think about not watching that other child anymore.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:43 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I wouldn't allow that other child in my home period.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:43 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• You should not be shocked. If this is what he is exposed to, that is what you will get.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:44 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• What kylans...says!

You're in a situation that is complicating your life. Can you look for a different kid to babysit?
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 9:45 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Im with the others here. He wouldnt get away with any of that in a daycare facility, he would have been out the door already. I too would think about letting this family go and looking for another child to watch. Good luck
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 9:47 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• @tootoo: Yes I DO put him in timeout. Dh says that I just need to teach the kids that in OUR home, these behaviours are NOT acceptable. He says that our son will be in school soon, and he will learn so many more things. I will not be able to protect him always, but we can teach him the right ways. I agree. He is going to be exposed to much much more... and there is only so much I can do.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:47 AM on Mar. 18, 2011