I complain A LOT but Vaccines are important! Right?!

Things I complain about in my household are never pointless it's just before I was pregnant I didn't care to bring them up, now that I am pregnant so many serious concerns have come up for me.
For example. The Pertusses Vaccine shot (spell check? LOL)
Anywhoo no one in my household has gotten it, and whether or not my baby will or won't get sick isn't the point.
The fact that there is a possibility my child can develop whooping cough around those who are not vaccinated should give everyone in my household a reason to get the shot right!? Now will I be wrong if I don't allow anyone too much time with my child because they couldn't get a simple shot that I have been asking of them for months?
Her father and I are the only ones who seem to take this matter serious and it really pisses me off.
I'm venting BUT I want other opinions of this. Am I wrong? I'm a first time parent, but wouldn't you get the shot for the safety of your baby?

ohprettymommy

Asked by ohprettymommy at 9:49 AM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• @OP, So have you asked them why they dont' want to? They may have a very valid reason that you are not aware of. It's still a bit extreme to insist they get vaccinated. So you're not going to insist everyone you know have it, why insist that for family members? I've seen the ads on recently that basically say if the adults aren't vaccinated for whooping cough, your baby is in danger. It's really a type of fear mongering used to promote vaccines. Ya know, you can't go by ads, other people's ideas, etc...you really need to do some research of your own, not only concerning the effectiveness/or lack thereof, of vaccines but also what things are in them. Then make your decisions based on what YOU know, and what YOU not what someone else says. Keep in mind that no matter what you do, your baby is always going to be around those who are not vaccinated. There are people for whom vaccinations are very dangerous.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:56 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I just read somewhere that the pertussis vaccine is anywhere from 50% to 95% effective in preventing the disease.
    If you want to prevent your baby from getting any sickness i would breast feed.
    For our family we do not vaccinate. I would never ever consider getting a vaccine while pregnant, or giving a vaccine to any child under the age of 2.
    We birth our babies at home, because there is no germier place than the hospital (for other reasons as well)
    and i breastfeed my babies because i believe it is the best for them in preventing sickness especially that first 6 months when they seem sooo vulnerable.
    love your babies, keep them comfortable and nourished the way they were menat to be, and that is the very best way to keep them healthy, happy and strong.
    i have 5 kids, and they have never been vaccinated, and they have never been medicated.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:07 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• NO. I wouldn't.

By the way, I have 3 kids... Even a *little* research will tell you that all you have to do is birth your child in a hospital for them to be exposed to any, and every nasty virus and bacteria available. The least of your concerns should be pushing a vaccine on people which is know A) to be ineffective, and B) which carries a high % of actual infections from it ie. getting whooping cough.

You're being irrational, and vaccines are not the answer.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:54 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Sorry I dont agree with shot ESPECIALY for infants Please research all of them before giving the shots to your lil one
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 10:04 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I'm sorry to say but you can not control the world around you. You can take care of yourself and your baby. There are people everywhere that do not get vaccines for whatever reason that will be in contact with your baby, and you will have no way of telling who has or has not had a shot of whatever. Also, vaccine does not mean complete immunity. It means that if you contract the disease, the effects should be less than a person not immunized. People who get the flu shot, can still get the flu. In the last week alone, three kids in a town not far from mine tested positive for the whooping cough and all were vaccinated. If your family does not want it, there is nothing you can do about it, sorry to say!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:07 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• You might want to remember that there are valid reasons why an adult (or a child) may not be vaccinated. Of course you wouldn't want someone with a cold (adult or child) around a newborn or very young infant but to insist that every adult in your family or that you know, get a vaccination in order to spend a few minutes admiring your baby is extreme.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 10:08 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• another thing to consider...
    just because you are exposed to a germ, virus or bacteria does not mean that you will get sick from it.
    if that were the case we would all be sick all the time.
    just as a tulip can not grow in the sand on a beach, a virus or bacteria can not flourish in your body if the elements are not just right.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:09 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Have you researched the possible side effects? I'm not going to tell you what to do, but in my house we delay, separate when possible, and selectively vaccinate. Please do some research before you go putting goodness knows how many chemicals in your baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Absolutely. Infact, I got the shot before leaving the hospital after giving birth.
    -lovingliam-

Answer by -lovingliam- at 9:51 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Your baby will be vaccinated for it. Monitor exposure until then, but afterwards, what's the harm?
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 9:51 AM on Mar. 18, 2011