How are you seeking to discover your child's natural aptitude/talent?

CoffeeWriter

Asked by CoffeeWriter at 9:53 AM on Mar. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• We encourage our children to try out whatever it is that piques their interest. I don't think it's up to me to uncover their talents and natural aptitudes. It's up to them to discover their own passions. There are plenty of people who are good at something they don't actually enjoy or at least aren't passionate about. As a parent, my job is to open doors and windows by providing opportunity. It's the child's job to explore and discover.

My 8 yo used to be all about math. He is still VERY good at math, but now he's passionate about writing. I let him loose with a blank Word document. We do 'writing workshops' together - goof around making up silly stories based on a list of prompts we've culled. I help him bind his work into a book-ish format, etc. DD's always been our artist. We give her art supplies, paper and classes to attend. When they want to try something new, we find the right outlet for it.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:32 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Get them involved in activities and watch them closely to see where their natural talents and interests lead them. But keep in mind these things change over the years. By the time they are older you will see clear passions that they have and you can lead them to good subjects to study in college and/or what career paths to follow. Enjoy the process!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:02 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I let my kids test the waters. Whatever interests them we give it a go!
    vishuz1

Answer by vishuz1 at 1:15 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• My daughter was very strong/coordinated at a very young age so I put her in gymnastics as soon as I could. She has excelled in it! Her coach's all compliment her strength and coordination for her age (almost 4) and best of all -- she LOVES going! PLus, we shed a little of that excess energy (a definite plus at bedtime) :-)
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:57 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Mainly through chance. He saw a few kids in his class go to ballet and asked to go. Okay. At ballet they not only did dance but would set a side time to watch videos of musical dance preformances and famous ballets. As a result I have a four year old who now loves going to live theater, is into Sammy Davis Jr., and taps his way around the house. Not something I would have considered before but glad for the exposure. We encouraged it once we realized he digs it. He seems to enjoy running and being on teams with the Y sports. We did one season to just try and after he got his first "trophy" it was a done deal. It has more to do with being around other kids, wearing the team shirt, doing a team cheer - he looks forward to it and it makes him happy. After he got his first HotWheels toy car that was it. Cars are also a passion. More recently sign language. I'm not clear on
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:21 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• how it came about again but he likes it. We watch DVD's with sign to teach. I have no expectation we will learn or be fluent. It just makes him happy. Mostly if he is exposed to something, mentions it, we do our best to follow up on it. Some are short term passions and others have had staying power. We do a lot of checking out books, DVD's, internt searches....ect. when my four year old expresses a uestion or desire to know more. Because we follow up he has reached the point where he will ask if there is a museum, a book, or something to look into on his own. He knows his dad will hop on the computer and track it down. LOL! Right now he is singing the Candy Land Man by Sammy Davis Jr. as I am typing. Just humming and dining as he plays with his toy cars.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:28 AM on Mar. 18, 2011