Anyone have a baby w/torticollis? What was the treatment?

AprilVas

Asked by AprilVas at 10:48 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• DD's torticollis was corrected with a series of stretches and variants on how to hold her, feed her, etc. It took several months for her neck muscles to be fully corrected and today you'd never know she had had an issue as an infant. (She's 4.)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:02 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• my DS had this he had PT and stretches...he is 5 now and no problems but have to warn you it not going to be easy. i have leave the room a few times during PT because he was crying so bad :(
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 11:10 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I am a Physical Therapist and see several babies with this condition. With proper, consistant treatment it should resolve. Yes it involves stretching/massage to the babies neck which usually the babies don't like (but they are not being harmed). We also give the parents tips on feeding/holding/playing that will help strengthen the weak side of the neck and stretch the tight side. Ask your ped for a referral to therapy (surgery is a drastic measure for this condition).
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 11:30 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• My friend wiht twins did PT and stretching, one eventually had to have surgery to cut the tight muscle and now he is fine. He also had to wear a helmet b/c he head got mischapen due to turning to one side all the time.
    kisarn02

Answer by kisarn02 at 12:11 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• my six month old has torticollis. she was diagnosed back in september. i had never even heard of it when her doctor gave me a script for physical therapy. i learned that this condition is more common than i had known. it can vary from mild to severe. my kiddo has had to go to PT and is still in need of it. PT is only part of it, her and i have to do the stretches and other exercises at home everyday.

thankfully, it is a correctable condition. and the sooner it is "discovered", the easier it is to treat.
    rachelsmommy78

Answer by rachelsmommy78 at 12:34 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• oh what is that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:45 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• My first husband was a chiropractor and we as in our office saw babies and treated them with stretches and p.t. as previously mentioned.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 4:01 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Yes, DD had this. Physical therapy and a series of at-home exercises to stretch the muscles helped. Some of it also corrected itself as she became more mobile. She's 8 now but it became a non-issue for her by the time she was 2 or so (she started P/T at age 3 months).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:39 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Kinnick had torticollis, he went to physical therapy for a few weeks, I had to do a lot of things at home-carry him a different way, switch sides I held him to feed him, get him to turn his head at every diaper change, do tummy time every single time he was awake...that kind of thing. It's MUCH better now, his head is still pretty flat on one side but it's getting better too.
    verybestmommy

Answer by verybestmommy at 9:09 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• my daughter has it and she also has Plgiocephally , she too gets physical therapy. She is 11 months old she has had her helmet for 2 weeks, its called a starband. It doesnt seem to bother her in the least. She will have to wear it for 3-5 months depending on how fast she grows. Maddy's head is flat on one side, because of laying for too long when she was newborn. It is starting to get better. her helmet does protect her from lifes bumps, but when she graduates from the helmet she won't know what to think when she hits her head.
    JessicaRangel

Answer by JessicaRangel at 12:15 AM on Nov. 26, 2008