How do I teach my kids to blow their noses?

I have a 3 and 4 year old and they just don't understand how to blow their noses. Anyone have any suggestions?

JPmommyNH

Asked by JPmommyNH at 10:58 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I've had this same problem with Maddy and Hayden. I showed Hayden just the other day by having him watch me blow air out my nose, and I kept having him try it. I told him to close his mouth and blow out his nose. It's so much easier said than done though, it took a while for him to get it. Good luck hun.
    murelzgirl

Answer by murelzgirl at 11:17 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I tell my 2 1/2 year old daughter to close her mouth and blow really hard.
    crissym45

Answer by crissym45 at 11:17 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I've just recently had the same problem with Tyler! He's 3 and just getting over a cold! The only thing I could think of was to show him how I blow in and out with my nose and he tries and it doesn't work! Not sure what to do! I hope you get some good answers!
    TylersMama05

Answer by TylersMama05 at 11:19 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Yeah I tell them to blow out of their nose and they just suck in. I cover thier mouths and they still suck in. I try to show them me blowing out and sucking in, but they just don't seem to get it. I got my DD(3year old) to do it once, but I think it was more of a fluke thing. ugh I hope I get some more suggestions! Thanks ladies!
    JPmommyNH

Answer by JPmommyNH at 11:32 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I dont know if it has worked yet because we haven't needed to. I was showing my daughter to close her mouth and practice blowing on her hand like she is blowing out candles with her nose. She did quite well after the first couple tries. I hope this works when its needed.
    Prrecious

Answer by Prrecious at 8:37 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I have 14 kids from 29- 5 years old. I have taught them all the same way. I tell them, " Shut your mouth tight and Blow like a dragon!" They all did it first try! LOL!! Hugs, Barbara
    motherof14

Answer by motherof14 at 9:21 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I have tried over and over to show Bryant the previous year or so, and he would sniff instead of blow, but he just got it one day, like an epiphany lmao. We just now are getting over a cold and outta nowhere the first time I told him to blow his nose with this cold, he DID! It'll come lol. Just keep trying.
    MamaBuggy

Answer by MamaBuggy at 9:38 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Rip up some tissue paper and have races by blowing the paper across the table without using your mouth. That teaches them to blow out through the nose and it is also about how hard they should blow.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:28 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Close their mouth and blow air out of their nose. Good advice! Its hard to teach them this but one day they wont get it and the next they will. Just be patient. I cant imagine it is easy for them to comprehend such a task though it seems so simple to us. My kids both figured it out fairly quickly but they were both sick and had runny noses so they were practicing a lot.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 2:14 PM on Nov. 25, 2008