My baby just started shaking her head...

Today my daughter, just a little over 10 months, just began shaking her head from side to side like she was saying no. Now I am worried. Please no bashing this is my first so I don't know what is normal. Anyways, I thought at first she was doing it to be funny but she wasn't. She would do it at completely random times. Could it have been just because she was tired? She has never done this before. Any help is appreciated. :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yea same thing.. my daughter jus started doing this about a week ago@ 9months...and she does it when she's feeling goofy..and tired...or doesn't want her food...and yes it is completely normal...its just a new thing they're learning how to do....
    lilgabbi

Answer by lilgabbi at 11:05 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I agree. My son is always finding some weird and random new thing to do. It lasts a week, and then he finds something else. Most recently he's poking himself in the eye. Before that he would walk up to some random thing (like the side of the fridge, for example), lift his shirt, and press his belly against it.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:10 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Just keep an eye on the behavior. If it worsens (becomes more frequent) I would speak to the MD. But like PP stated, kids will always find odd things to do as a part of their learning experience ( usually only temporary).
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 11:25 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• my son started doing this also about a week or two ago at 7 month, at first i was worried but he would do it and laugh so i think he is playing. i wouldnt worry.
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 11:27 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• She just learned something new, don't worry about it. If she seems to stop communicating or exhibits other weird behavior, give your doc a call.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 11:30 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I talked to my doctor about it... my 8 month old son was doing the same thing. she said that its just something he picked up. prob from me always shaking my head when i tell him no... she said to watch his pupils if they become uneven... then you need to worry otherwise... he just learned something new
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:18 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• My 10 month old daughter does the same thing. If she is getting into something and I tell her no she will shake her head no. She also used to do it when she was really tired and fighting her sleep. I wouldn't worry about it.
    briellesmama

Answer by briellesmama at 1:32 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• My son does this when he has fluid built up in his ears which lead to an ear infection. He shakes his head as, like you said, he's saying no. If she starts pulling at her ears too I'd check it out for sure....it can be so painful for those little ones :(
    Christi12

Answer by Christi12 at 4:32 PM on Nov. 25, 2008