Why would my humidifier make my boys room smell like pee!?!!?!

We just bought it and haven't even used it for a month. It is a filter free one so I don't know. Very aggravating!

mommyofone15

Asked by mommyofone15 at 10:44 AM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Health

• It shouldn't. But try cleaning it out with some white vinegar before you run it again.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:45 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Is there a spot that they had an accident in the room before? My only thought would be if there was the extra moisture in the room might be releasing some of the smell if it didn't get cleaned up all the way. Or if the previous owner or whatever had pets.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 10:46 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I agree that it shouldn't. My only thought is that the humidity is causing an 'accident' to smell. If you can locate the source, maybe you can treat it but if you can't, there are enzyme sprays that will take care of the bacterial source of the smell.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 10:47 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• maybe the humidifier is bringing out smells that are already there? Since I live in a really humid climate I find the more humid it is the more I can smell pet odor if someone has tinkled. Just a thought.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 10:49 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Yes very likely there could be an accident on the room but where I have no idea! Lol so you think maybe it has nothing to do with the humidifier? Just the humidity causing the accident to smell? I am hoping to shampoo the carpet this weekend!
    mommyofone15

Comment by mommyofone15 (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• mine also does this sometimes and i found the cause to be a build up of lime scale give it a good clean and it should go away .
    Azular

Answer by Azular at 11:06 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• try to clean it with white vingear it may help good luck
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 11:25 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• If you have a cat, did it pee in it?
    tastymama

Answer by tastymama at 2:08 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• It's the excess humidity, making the kids sweat a little, and over-usage. We have the same issue. It's not as bad if we limit the hours it runs or only use it every other night.
    Anonymous

• A black light in the room will show you if there are any offending spots you are unable to see. I do think the humidifier is making smells that are already in the carpet come out and not the humidifier itself. You can get little hand held black lights usually at pet stores they may be more expensive. I just purchase a black light bulb from walmart and screw it into my nightstand base and take it around on the carpet to find the spots. Hope this helps.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 11:59 PM on Mar. 20, 2011