WOHM's - Guilt/excersize

I want to join a gym to get in better shape and lose this extra 30lbs but.. I can't get past the guilt of being away..My son is 3 years old. Mon-Fri my son wakes at 7 - I get him to daycare by 8 and I work from 830 to 5- get him by 530 then home by 6 - he goes to bed at 9 most nights and still wakes sometimes 2 to 3 times ( a whole different issue than I can put in the question lol ) SO by the time I get home, make dinner and sit down its 730 -or 8 - then we do playtime, an activity and then bath and bed.. I don't want to miss out on any of the 3 actual hours I Get with him each night - so lets say I only go on the weekends.. the 2 FULL days I get to spend with him.. is it worth paying for a gym for 2 to 4 hours of working out on a weekend? Many moms say its easy to find time to work out and get in shape but I am not seeing it..or I guess maybe I don't want to be away from my son more than I already HAVE to.. any suggestions? I Live In MN so its still 30 degrees and full of snow and in the summer its not an issue but.. what about our 7 months of winter ?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 10:45 AM on Mar. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• I used to go after I put DD to bed. She goes to bed at 8. I joined a gym very close to home and I'd just head up there while DH stayed home with her. DH got laid off so we had to drop it and I never picked it back up. I'll probably try again after #3 makes his/her arrival in October. There's a gym up the street from where we are moving. Once all the kids are asleep, I'll head over there. I don't like to miss the time I have with them either.
    mrsfitz05

Answer by mrsfitz05 at 10:51 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I try to work out 3 times a week. I usually pick my kids up from daycare, play a little outside, and then cook dinner. When they start eating, I go to the gym and my husband gets them ready for bed. I get back in time to read them a bedtime story. If one of my kids has practice, my husband takes both of them to practice, and I go to the gym while they are at practice. I used to let the guilt get to me, but then I realized a healthier mom is happier and has more energy to spend with her kids, which is good for the whole family. If you absolutely don't want to miss time with your son, go to the gym before he wakes up or after he is in bed. On the weekends, we exercise as a family by taking walks and going to the park.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:14 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I have the same situation. So I am going to buy the Zumba DVD's.
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 11:18 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Have you considered going over a lunch hour for 30 minutes?
    Or possibly a DVD after he goes to bed?
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:32 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I have the same problem as you! Maybe you can get a treadmill to use after he goes to bed. Or do sit ups and push ups in the living room. Or an exercise tape. Or go for a long walk with him in the stroller. I wouldn't take any more time away from him. No way. I should follow my own advice!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:15 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• In all honesty, I thought more getting out of the house at the Gym would prevent what always seems to happen, I start out doing the video's at home but it doesn't take long before I end up making things a "priority" over doing a video for myself.. like laundry, dishes, bath, tv time, extra time with DH, or basically ANYTHING that will get me out of actually doing it - after our son goes to bed at 9, which ends up being sometimes til 1030 depending on if he napped, I go right to bed.. I thought maybe going to a gym would MAKE me do it -
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 11:41 AM on Mar. 18, 2011