Should I induce?

So I am 38 and a half weeks pregnant and CANNOT sleep...yes I have been to the doctor and she gave me Amben; but guess what...it doesn't work. I have gotten 3 hours sleep in the last 26 hours and can barely think.

I was wonder what do you think of inducing labor since technically I am full term. How do I talk my doctor into it if I want to induce but the doctor doesn't?

I really need some advice!

Yozhick

Asked by Yozhick at 10:48 AM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• No. Not a good idea. You aren't getting sleep now, and you will have less when the baby arrives. If it's not medically needed, don't do it. Even full term babies can have complications. I know it's rough, but you can make it.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:52 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• NO. The last two weeks are VITAL for lung function. Only reason to induce is if you are about to die.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:52 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Induction generally involves what I call that drug of the devil, pitocin. My personal experience of that was so bad that I'd labor for a year and NEVER sleep again before I had it.

And as Christine pointed out... the real "no sleep" happens after baby arrives.

I really wouldn't induce. I'd walk a lot instead. But I wouldn't induce.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:54 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• i feel the same way, and i have tried everything in the past to convince my doctors to induce.... but they absolutely will not do it if they dont have to until you are 40 weeks, even then they dont like to do it before 42weeks... sucks i know, but all you can really do is trying to self induce you should research it first though...
    lilliedoll

Answer by lilliedoll at 10:57 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• No. I think the reason you can't sleep at the end of pregnancy is because your body is getting you ready for when you can't sleep when the baby comes. Do you really think you will be sleeping once the baby is here? Let nature take it's course.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:10 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I wouldn't. As gdiamante said, pitocin is the devil! I was way too uncomfortable to sleep well, too, but due dates are just estimates, and it's better to be safe than sorry, in my opinion.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I woudn't
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:22 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• *wouldn't
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:23 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• WOW...thank you ladies. It really helps to know that everyone agrees because my oldest (all grown up) keeps telling me to and I figure that if the baby was ready he would come out already. It is just hard though because I seriously cannot sleep or think. All I want to do is cry but I can't cause it scares my 4 year old. I will hold out though...thanks again.
    Yozhick

Comment by Yozhick (original poster) at 11:50 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I agree don't induce. The last thing you want is to go into labor when you haven't slept and are exhausted. You'd be setting yourself up for a c-section.

What is it that is keeping you awake? Body aches, contractions, racing mind?

I'd see a chiropractor and get a good adjustment, it'll help with those pregnancy aches and pains. Then do some slow stretches or yoga combined with deep breathing before bed. Sometimes when I can't sleep I just lay there and take deep breathes and focus on the breath and block out all other thoughts. Drink some hot chamomile tea before bed and avoid caffeine after 4pm. Warm baths with epsolm salts are nice and relaxing.

Figure out a good before bed routine that will help you relax and get some sleep. Good luck mama.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 2:30 PM on Mar. 18, 2011