Rude comments (Not sure what group to put this in)

How do you deal with rude comments? Our neighbor lady is really starting to get on my nerves. Every time she sees me, she makes vicious comments and snide remarks about my age (I'm 20), how many kids I have (I'm pregnant with our 4th), or my husband's age (he's 36). I do my best to ignore her, but sometimes it just gets me so angry. I don't really want to get nasty with her, because she's our neighbor and I don't want to make it worse. Any ideas? How do you deal with comments like this?

dcnew

Asked by dcnew at 10:56 AM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Relationships

• Ignore her. Literally act as if she doesn't exist. Or kill her with kindness. Smile in her face and be happy as can be in front of her. The more that she knows she's getting to you the worse she'll probably be. She sounds like a spiteful, jealous witch.
    -lovingliam-

Answer by -lovingliam- at 11:00 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• personally i would tell her straight up, stop with your comments i dont like them, and how would you feel with the tables turned, its none of her damn business away... its your life not hers and youll run it the way you want...
    lilliedoll

Answer by lilliedoll at 11:02 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Try to ignore her but if you do have to say something just tell her to worry about her own life and not yours. GL
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 11:02 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I get remarks from family and friends about my kids's dad who is 30 years older than let alone the looks we get when we go out, But we just laugh at the ones staring b/c we know what there thinking ( that he's my dad until they see us kiss or get close lol ) If you get the chance to talk to her just tell her that love doesn't have a number and your with him because you chose to be, and you have children from that love. After I explain that to people they don't say anything. Hope this helps!
    lil_shannie

Answer by lil_shannie at 11:07 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I would be really extra sweet to her.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:07 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Without being rude back, have you ever thought to ask her if she's rude to everyone or if she's singled you out, and why? It might make her think about someone besides herself (the operative word is might; she may not care).
    wishbearmom

Answer by wishbearmom at 11:07 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Tell her how you feel, she is your neighbor and will be there for a while. So if she stops talking too you the better for you. :)

When she starts say nicely:

I don't appreciate you talking to me like that, I know all about my relationship and family. I don't like it. If she appoligizes good if not then you keep it movin. Yes and next time if she does it again, you can say, sorry I don't want to hear it. Be rude, if she don't get it when you are nice. She is being rude, worry about how you feel not anyone else especially if they are not consider too your feelings.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:10 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• "my age (I'm 20), how many kids I have (I'm pregnant with our 4th), or my husband's age (he's 36)."

maybe she's disgusted by an older man (married or not) with an underage girl (4th on the way at 20....how could you not be underage when first with him?) It's not so much that you're so young, but what is man is his 30's doing with a teenager? That's disturbing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Anonymous, We got married at 18, and I got pregnant at 18. I can understand what you're saying, but the same as with my neighbor, you don't know me. We have been married for 2 years, and are very happy. It's comments like yours that made me ask this question in the first place.
    dcnew

Comment by dcnew (original poster) at 11:15 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Ask her if you or your family is hurting her in any way, then tell her that you'd appreciate her not hurting you.
    Even if it doesn't hurt you, she doesn't know that; maybe if she realizes that her comments can hurt someone she may stop.

Good Luck with this.
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 11:20 AM on Mar. 18, 2011