Need some suggestions

I work 4 nights a week and don't get to have a dinner break b/c it is only a 5 hour shift. Our state law states that you have to work 6 hours before you get a lunch. So I leave at 3:45 and get home at almost 10. I have gained weight in the last few weeks because I have been eating dinner when I get home that late. I am trying really hard to lose weight and putting it on is not a good sign. So I need suggestions on what I can do to help off set this and just having a snack will not cut it because it will have a been about 10 hours since my last meal. I need to eat or my blood sugar will bottom out in the middle of the night or I will be so tired in the morning because of low blood sugar.

Any suggestions are appreciated and I will give them a shot.

coala

Asked by coala at 11:03 AM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dinner like a pauper. Don't eat then go right to bed. Stay up a while to let it digest. Try to eat healthy foods, expecially late at night. Surely you get a couple of 15 minute breaks? You should have at least one, by law. Take something with you to snack on. If you have blood sugar problems, you need those snacks. Unsalted, dry roasted nuts, protein bars, half a sandwich, salad, veggie sticks. If you can't have the break, munch on it after your shift, before you leave. That way you're not so hungry when you get home.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 11:18 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• What I used to do is drink is a slim fast on a break. Filled me up
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Couldn't have said it any better than Kimimale, dinner doesn't have to be the heavier meal of the day. Change things up a bit
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:32 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• try to have aptotein drink while at work so your not as hungry when you get home. Then you can eat something lighter.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 3:31 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• What kind of work do you do? Can you not eat while working??
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:26 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I am the closing manager at a retail store. We don't get the opportunity to take a break or have a meal on a 5 hour shift. I even feel guilty for taking a break long enough to pee. I will see about getting some slimfast shakes and trying some of the other suggestions.

Thanks for all the help and support.
    coala

Comment by coala (original poster) at 11:37 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• You can have a small snack walking to your car or as you are getting ready to leave, counting the registers out if you do that. I also agree with making your bigger meal at a different time, maybe in the afternoon.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 12:06 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Kimimale has a great suggestion up there...
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 8:11 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• you're working 5 hours, gone over 6... snack on the way there and the way home...
    asil

Answer by asil at 1:38 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Snack on your break, and as asil said, on the way there and back. I snack throughout the day, whether I'm on break or not. A granola bar only takes about 2 minutes to eat. Nobody will notice.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:27 PM on Mar. 21, 2011