Do you believe that beauty is a curse?

Not trying to be funny at all...but you feel that women who are more attractive have to deal with proving their intelligence more than unattractive women? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - and what inside DOES matter more. And if you are married, do you feel like you have to down play your looks or conversations with other men (i.e. his family members, friends etc.)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Relationships

• NOPE! I was for a number of years, quite attractive, and no, it's far from a curse! Now that I'm older and heavier and my looks aren't quite what they once were - that's a curse!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:06 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I believe there are pros and cons to attractiveness. You aren't expected to have brains as well so you have to work harder to prove yourself when it matters (such as work or school), Also, it can be harder to make friends because of others insecurities and jealousies as well as intimidation. Being married, I've noticed a slight conflict with my mother in law. I use to model and when we first met she questioned me about it slightly rude. Then tried to tell me what to wear based on her dressing for my reception. We have a good relationship but I've noticed things like this. (shes heavy set as well) It does have its perks at times though because I was able to model and move up to higher positions in that job.
    -lovingliam-

Answer by -lovingliam- at 11:15 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Don't get me wrong...being told I am pretty and beautiful my entire life OVERALL is not a curse. BUT, I can totally understand the intimidation piece. Before I got married men would date me just to bring me around their friends and family - to show me off. And my dh has even said - I know why a man has never 'tied you down' - when we get around his family I do not engage unless prompted. I am not a rude person by far -- or if a man comes up to me in the store to flirt or ask a obvious I just want you to talk to me question I am put on my 'pretty girl snob' and ignore them. BTW- I am a larger woman, but VERY curvy top & bottom - and in my culture this is a PLUS.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I can see what you're saying but I think the opposite is true. If a woman is plain or just unattractive to others, she gets looked past, put down by men, and generally has a hard time getting anyone to listen much less being able to prove intelligence. I'm feel like I'm rather plain. Until I dress up and put on make up. Suddenly I have the attention of quite a few men, bother younger and older, whereever I happen to be. I think all this proves is how shallow many people truly are.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• i can see what u are saying i know that i get alot of hate from the females in my family its hard to make friends with females cause they feel like they are competing with me and i hate that and cause of this i have male friends the few female friends i have are on here in CM
    but as for men or the few women i have come in contact with they never doubt my intelligence i present myself in a very intelligent way and as for the men i have gotten many times that guys are to intimidated to come up and talk to me cause of my looks
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 12:28 PM on Mar. 18, 2011