Brush your teeth... Or not...

So how do you get a two year old to let you brush their teeth. Its a never ending battle for us, and I don't want to fight him. I get what I can done before he gets upset which isn't much. I thought if I bought a tooth brush that sang that would maybe help. Yeah right that made it worse. I do brush my teeth with him to show him how and he kinda brushes them himself but I wanna make sure that they are pretty clean. I have been seeing a tun of 3-6 year olds with silver teeth and I have to say its put me in over drive with the teeth thing! So any one know of any good tricks for me!

Amber1109

Asked by Amber1109 at 11:09 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Health

• There is a mouthwash that tints your plague...make it into a game for him, have him rinse first so he can see all the "dirty" spots, and let him know he isn't done until those spots are gone.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:11 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Just because some kids have silver caps doesn't mean they don't brush their teeth. I brushed my sons teeth twice a day and he still had to get his teeth removed, and capped but we got the white ones. he a a disease that ate them away. But try rewards, maybe stickers. Thats how i got my son to brush his by himself.
    jasesmommy0529

Answer by jasesmommy0529 at 11:15 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• My 2 year old is more likely to let me help her after she's had her turn first. When she says she's done I'll ask her if I can see and then tell her she missed a spot and usually she lets me have a go at it. I know how you feel though...it's a never-ending battle!

My 4 year old looks like he has a rotted tooth but its really just "dead". He knocked it on something at some point and killed the nerve inside so it turned gray. It looks so noticable and I hat eit...I know people must look at me like I don't make my kids brush their teeth! You just never know though! Don't assume that they have poor hygeine just because they're teeth are bad.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:21 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I use toddler tooth paste and I gave it to my son. He started sucking on it and he liked the flavor. So after he didn't mind having the tooth brush in his mouth, I started brushing his teeth. I even bought him a tooth brush that has a flashing light and he LOVES it. Then he went through a phase where he didn't want to do it any more, so I let him brush my teeth. He thought it was the funniest thing ever, so after he brushed my teeth, I told him I had to brush his, and he let me. Now, of course, I have to be quick about it, his attention span is pretty short, but it's enough to get the job done. Good luck!
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 10:39 AM on Nov. 25, 2008