Do your kids pick out their own clothes

or do you help them decide what to wear?

wishbearmom

Asked by wishbearmom at 11:10 AM on Mar. 18, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I haven't picked out their clothes since they were 3. The only time I get involved is if it's inappropriate for the weather or for school. I don't care if it matches...whatever, they're the ones wearing it. They are 10, 9, 8 and 5. I did try and persuade my 5yo (well, she'll be 5 in a couple weeks) to put jeans on when we went out yesterday because she had navy blue sweats on with a green shirt and looked silly. I just mentioned it (told her sweats were for inside or gym class and jeans were for wearing out, lol). She changed, I didn't force her. Today she has on bright teal pants (with pink butterfly outlines on them) and a dark pink shirt. Sort of matches.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:15 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• My 5 year old does and sometimes I have to send him back to his room to try again :)
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 11:15 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• My 3yo does. We just tell her if she can wear short sleeves or a skirt, depending on the weather.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:16 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• my step daughter thats 4 does. when shes with us she likes to get herself ready for the day it does take her time but she does pretty good. but my step son age 3 refuses to we still have to do everything for him but we enjoy it cuz we know its not going to last.
    auna21

Answer by auna21 at 11:26 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Yep. My 7 1/2 year old, and my 4 year old BOTH pick out their clothes. And they've been allowed to since they were able to get their dresser drawers open. All we say is if they need pants/sweatshirt or shorts/skirt/t-shirt, depending on weather.

One of my daughter's favorite outfits is bright purple bobby socks, khaki green sweat pants, bright (royal?) blue t-shirt and a salmon colored sweater. It look hideous all together, but it's HER choice for the day and I'm just happy she's dressed.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:40 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Oh yes our son does!! I cringe every time he comes out LOL! he never matches but I let him decide and it doesn't really matter as long as he has clean clothes in my opinion. I do sometimes suggest other things or if were going somplace kind of special I will ask if I can pick out his clothes and he is fine with it.

The other day they had mix match day at school and that is the day he decides to match LOL!!
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 12:21 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Yes. My four year old does. He assists in deciding which t-shirts we will purchase, jeans, shoes, and other items. At least when he is with me. He will voice an opinion and I certainly respect it. If I think it is not appropriate then I will explain why. Or if it is too expensive. I find his input helpful. His grandmother buys the majority of his clothes so neither one of us has a clue what she will send our way. He's pretty easy going about most things unless he really dislikes something. Typically for school it is a t-shirt and jeans. So not really an issue for dressing. His grandmother also knits all his sweaters and socks. He loves to show off her creations. There isn't anything I have to say - turn around and try again. Even if it does not match I don't really care too much. I'm just thankful he is dressing himself and needs little assistance. The road to independence started a long time ago.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:16 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• We have a set temp for shorts (the high has to be above 70) and short sleeve shirts (the high has to be above 60). They know the required temps/corresponding clothing, so yes - they pick out their own clothes.

Answer by missanc at 1:39 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Well my 16 year old definitely does and my 5 year old is starting too - - - Mom helps him a lil' bit to make sure that he is matching and my 3 year old - - I still pick out his clothes but sometimes he picks out his own shirt. : )
    rebeccan3

Answer by rebeccan3 at 11:16 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• When my son gets older I'll let him as long as it matches or is appropriate
    -lovingliam-

Answer by -lovingliam- at 11:16 AM on Mar. 18, 2011