Bottle problems?

I need some help. My youngest is almost 14 weeks old and I go back to work on Monday. (Not happy about this at all, but I teach and have to finish the year) Nursing has gone so smoothly that we haven't been using bottles and now we're finding that she won't drink from a bottle. We're going to keep trying over the weekend but I don't know what we'll do come next week. My other two transitioned without a problem, so this is new. Has anyone else had problems with a baby not taking a bottle? Have you found anything that helps in the transition? Thanks!

gratefulmom913

Asked by gratefulmom913 at 11:36 AM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried the Breastflow bottles by The First Years? I use these with my dd and I also breastfeed. They are suppose to imitate the breast.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 11:39 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• My baby girl never took a bottle. People told me we introduced the bottle too late (6 weeks). I ended up staying home. I know this isn't much help!!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:41 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Who's giving the bottle? If it's you... that's the problem. It's like your grandma giving you stale store bought cookies when she just took your favorites out of the oven. You'd think she was nuts!

Bottle = stale cookies.

Breast = Fresh cookies.

Hand baby to dad and YOU get the heck outta Dodge! Go shopping or something. When hungry baby WILL take the bottle. And at this age, you can do a cup. Remove the spill proof valve. Caregiver tips, baby sips.

NO baby will starve herself. She may just wait till you come home. That's called reverse cycling. It's normal and not at all unhealthy.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:15 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I second the breastflow bottle - my SIL has to go back to work when her baby is 6 weeks old and she wouldn't take any bottle til they tried that one last week, and now my bro can give her a bottle every evening with no problem (she still won't take one from SIL). And I also second giving the baby & bottle to someone else and leaving - if baby knows you'er around, they won't take a bottle from anyone. You also didn't state if you're putting breastmilk or formula in the bottle - that might make a difference too.
    Anonymous

• i have heard a lot of mom's use the nuk nipples they conform to babies mouth like the breast
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 11:12 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I had the Same issue with my first and second children. A Straw will work, either like a dropper or in a cup. My DS was 4 months old when he learned to drink from a straw. So I got the take along cups with straws. There are also feeding cups and spoons. using bottles is not something that needs to be learned. I also would suggest a SOFT TIP sippy cup.

yobabywazup

Answer by yobabywazup at 2:09 AM on Mar. 20, 2011