How professional are the heating and air company that you use when needed?

We would LIKE to get our ac working again but at the rate we're going it seems far off,first the comp,y we use came out looked at the unit did a couple things and said it may or may not work,the ac still didn't work and they charged us about 200 for NOT getting it fixed so today we had them come out again and I wasn't home when they were here and come home to find a business card that looked like he picked up off the floor of his vehicle and he scribbled on their what was wrong.To me that seems so unprofessional.

daisydays988

Asked by daisydays988 at 11:40 AM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Call your better business bureau. Tell them this and ask if they've had bad reports. And if they were out once and didn't fix the problem, they should give you a big discount on the second "fix". They should at least drop the labor charges on the real "fix", if they fix it. You can also ask the BBB if they could recommend a reputable company. They will probably give you a list to choose from.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 11:46 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Sounds pretty unprofessional. My husband is an HVAC Tech. Our landlord hired someone else to fix our A/C one time instead of having my husband do it and it took about 3 companies and a week of no a/c in 100 degree weather for him to finally allow my husband to fix it. In which it was fix properly right away. So irritating! I almost called on one of the guys because he was letting freon go right into the air instead of recovering. Anyway I would call back and ask to speak to the owner of the company you are using and complain. Ask for your money back. You don't feel this guy was honest or professional..you didn't like the way he looked and presented himself. I would only call the bigger companies to come out. Make sure when you do get it fixed to get regular preventive maintenance in the spring and fall, and change your a/c filter once a month. Will save you in the long run.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:52 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• When we first used them a few years ago, they were great. Then our furnace went out and they came and charged the regular fee and then we bought the part so around $200 for it to quit two days later. We decided to replace it. We got estimates from everyone around here and the company we use was the least expensive for the best unit but man they were awful putting it in. They were here the entire day until 7:30 that night when they finally got if running. They had problems and stomped through the house, took and made personal calls on their cell phones, were pissy about everything. Then literally less than 48 hours after it was put in it quit working. Turned out, they saw a factory defect and installed it anyway. After a week and a half of it being down and me getting ignored, I got hold of a service manager and when I told him what was going on, he got on to the techs and had a part expressed to us and it was fixed that day.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:54 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Go to a website such as www.servicemagic.com, you'll get the names of companies with the site and be able to read reviews and stuff free of charge. You *may* get those companies calling you willing to set up free estimates or consultations, but if any of the companies listed earned the Service Magic Seal of Approval then they do good work. DH and I are carpet cleaners and use them.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:39 PM on Mar. 18, 2011