It made me raw! to the point where i have a scab! and it hurts!

I'm a breastfeeding mom and my ds will be a year old next week but i've always hated to pump so i probably haven't done it in almost 4 months. I went out drinking one night and then pumped and dumped the next morning. IT HURT LIKE A MO FO!!! looked at it the next daycuz they still hurt and the machine had attacked me so bad i was bleeding (not from my nipple but my areola) and it was starting to scab. Why did this happen?

lashes325

Asked by lashes325 at 12:06 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep on breastfeeding Mama! Dont let uneducated people criticize you for making the best decision for baby.....

Just as your baby is required to give a perfect latch, the pump has to give a perfect latch....If it is painful- you are probably not creating a perfect latch with the pump. What type of pump are you using? Using an inexpensive or poorly made pump can cause nipple trauma. Also using the improper size flange (for large or small nipples/areola) can cause nipple pain and possibly damage. I would recommend Lactina Select or Medela Classic for this situation. Warmth and massage prior to, and during pumping may help you to access more of your milk. Some women find that they let-down more easily to hand-expression, and then use an electric breastpump after their milk begins to flow.

Also try rubbing some of your breastmilk on your scab as it will help it heal, and then let it air dry. Hope u feel better, happy 21st!
    RiaChristine

Answer by RiaChristine at 1:05 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Probably because of the friction. If you have and Lansinoh or Lanolin, make sure to keep it covered and moist, so it can heal. Pumps can be a little tricky, and the nipple shields come in different shapes and sizes . . sometimes, certain brands just work better for certain sizes.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:09 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• You likely had the machine on too high a suction level.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:16 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• "If your son is almost one y r u still breastfeeding?"
    Yes, and I think that it's wonderful that she is still breastfeeding.
    what's wrong with breastfeeding a year? doesn't sound that long to me.
    Anonymous

• The pump flange might not be the right size.

Regarding drinking, you don't ever need to pump and dump. You can safely have 1-2 drinks, and nurse when you need to. If you have MORE then that, I wait 2-3 hrs per drink before nursing again. And if he's over 12 mos, you can completely ditch the pump, if you want to, even if you're going to be apart. The only reason to ever pump when drinking, is if you need to keep up supply for a missed feeding.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:05 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• ?? i hate pumps. I would say possibly because you were not relaxed and did not have it on there correctly.
    Anonymous

• LOL@ "the machine attacked me" least you have a good sense of humor about it :)
    I don't care for pumping either and I do notice when I use it on occassion that my breasts are pretty tender. But not bleeding and scabbed up!
    I think Imaginationmama hit the nail on the head.
    Hope you heal up soon!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:12 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• The pressure was too high.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:15 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• at anonymus #2... many moms breastfeed to a year old and past and i nursed him before i left and it was my 21st birthday, 1 night of drinking and having a good time aint gonna kill me!

Everyone else: thanks I'm using that lansinoh lanolin stuff now! LOVE IT!
    lashes325

Comment by lashes325 (original poster) at 12:15 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• You might not have had it on correctly. That or the suction was too hard for your skin.
    kimandeverrett

Answer by kimandeverrett at 6:23 PM on Mar. 20, 2011