"Cafemom is an ad-supported SOCIAL NETWORKING website..

specifically targeted at mothers offerering member generated content such as profiles,journals,groups,photos,and polls."
I got this from Wikipedia
Cafemom as a whole is not a support group. Its goal is the same as Facebook,social networking.
Do you feel this site is a giant support group? Ever since I started on here I've heard complaints that others are not being supportive because they do not agree with the answers they get. There is a big difference between disagreeing with someone and just being a bitch. It seems some can't tell the difference between the two.Remember,when you come on here,99% of us are not professionals. We are of all ages. We speak from experience. Whether or not you agree does not make us wrong or bitchy.
Remember,sometimes being supportive is pointing out you're wrong if it so happens you are,not just blindly agreeing with you to appease your feelings.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 12:16 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in About CafeMom

• the wikipedia entry was made by a member of this site at the request of cafemom, I was part of the group they set up just for that to be done. They would have done it themselves but it was against the rules. I have to agree though. Cafemom is a social network. Being or wanting to be a mom is simply the common interest. After that it's anything goes. I don't believe it was ever intended to be a support group for mothers. I think it is, always has been, and always will be a place for mothers to spend time. Plain and simple. If a person needs support there are places on the site where is available. I have certainly used the options since I have been a member here. Even though I joined this site to get support on a parenting issue, I don't spend my many hours of cafemom looking for more. How fricken boring would that be. I am a mother, that is true but I am more than just my child and his issues.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 7:58 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• They shoudl pt in their official guidelines for entertainment purposes only. Take advice at your own discretion.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 12:18 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• No, I don't consider it a "support" site. I consider it a networking site where you can flit around and find things that interest you, whether it's discussing parenting techniques, political debating, or trying to hook up with other bisexual moms.

If a member would like a lovey-dovey, blow-sunshine-up-everyone's-ass, there are groups for that. Seriously, I can understand why some people desire that kind of interaction, but to EXPECT it everywhere on the internet is silly and naive.

And OMG if I have to read one more post bitching about people not being nice, I'm gonna stab a bitch. Okay, not really, but for the love of all things sacred, STOP POSTING ABOUT IT!!!! If you find someone "rude", just move on!!!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:36 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I really have issues believing that people are so Naive to think that on a SOCIAL NETWORKING SITE of over 3.1 million people "visiting" every month that everyone is going to have The same opinion and there would be no disagreements. Yet the reason butterflyblue is posting this is because there ARE those that are this naive. Some people really need to wake up and smell the coffee
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:24 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Remember,sometimes being supportive is pointing out you're wrong if it so happens you are,not just blindly agreeing with you to appease your feelings.

I agree with this statement, and no matter how careful one is with her words, it can sometimes sound unkind when that is nowhere close to the intent.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:20 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Valid or not Cafemom is a networking site supported by ads.

Answer by gemgem at 12:27 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I agree with you OP and mamacita.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 12:19 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• It's sad to say, but for the most part, CafeMom is NOT a site for support. It may have been at one point, and it may be in only a handful of groups, but it isn't solely for support these days. It's a drama-filled, bashfest of a social networking site.

Shoot..I know all this and I'm STILL here? What's wrong with me?! lol.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 1:07 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• For me personally.

CM is a social networking site for entertainment purposes. That's about it in a nutshell.

As a whole, that is what CM is. That is the reality, it's a Social Networking site. What you get from it is what you choose to take from it. Just like what you put into it is what you choose to put into it.

Yes, there are individuals who do find others that they connect with on a deep enough level (whether it's on a regular basis/regular contact, or just a simple answer to one question) that they do feel comfort, support, etc. However that usually happens on an individual basis. Which is a by product of the whole social network site model. People get on here, socialize, cuss and discuss, and Some find the comfort and support they need from some individuals. Others find the entertainment and fun that they are looking for.

Individuals need to learn that THEY choose what they take from this place & what to leave.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:27 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I can agree with this.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:19 PM on Mar. 18, 2011