What did you (or do you plan to do)??? First birthday party ideas!$#!&^?

I have no idea what I am doing!! All I know is "Dora and Diego" theme. Plus my condo is too small for all the family--Any idea where else to have it?? I live in and his birthday is June 29th.......

What did you do for your childs first birthday??
Did you make the cake?? If so, a good copy website for cake recipes and decorating???
Who did you invite???
Did you serve lunch???
Games or not for 1st bday??? And what about party bags??
Any other tips??? Idk??!!!

RiaChristine

Asked by RiaChristine at 12:34 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We ended up visiting my husband's family during our son's 1st birthday so they threw a party for him and invited family. We had a BBQ. It actually worked out because we got to see everyone and a lot of them actually met our son for the first time, they all got to celebrate his birthday with us, and we wouldn't have had many friends or family had we done it at home. We didn't get the theme I'd wanted since my in-laws pretty much bought everything but in the end it didn't matter because we had what was important, and a year later my son already doesn't remember it!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Take the money you will spend on the party and put it in savings for your baby.....

Then I would have Cake and some chips, some immediate family or family that is close to the baby around... Happy Birthday, Really the party is for the family not the baby, omg who the heck wants all that anyway..... :)

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I made a banana cake from a cook book I have - it was a big hit, everyone loved it. We just had people over to our house - friends and family, no one my son didn't see on a regular basis. It was a few too many people crammed into too small of a house, but it was a good party. Don't put too much stress/planning into a first birthday party... they won't remember and if you over plan, it won't go as planned. Just have a nice afternoon with people you like... have some snacks and some cake.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 12:42 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• For both of my kids' first birthday's we had a family only party at my in-laws' house. Our places were too small for the 30ish people that make up my husband's family (mine is dysfunctional).

We ordered a Safeway cake, and got a free 1st birthday cake for the kids to dive into and make a mess with.

As for games the older kids (my kids now have 12 cousins to play with) would play with Gramma's toys (she's a preschool teacher) in the basement while the adults socialized. It was usually a dinner that was served and either *I* cooked it and brought it over, or my MIL graciously agreed to cook in her place, refusing my help.

As for party bags and such save those for when your baby is a few years older, the stuff is just going to get lost anyway.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• My DD is a Junebug also and we are just going to have a small gathering either at home or a park for close family & friends very low key and I was going to make her a carrot cake birthday cake.in a girly cake pan. :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 2:12 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• i did a party at the park and had all my fam and close friends come it wastn big but very nice i got Pizza an cake and a cooler of water i stayed on the cheapside and everyone had a great time i did like zoo theam wiht giraffs and monkeys it was cute!!!!
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 2:15 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I had a blue and yellow theme and we had a bbq at the local park so all the kids could play and we had room for everyone. My son's birthday is June 3rd.
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 2:17 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• for my sons 1st birthday I'm going to make cupcakes and decorate them like balls (basketball, soccer ball, football, baseball, etc) I wont do games, too little and it should be about him. and goody bags for older kids
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:21 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• We kept it fairly small. 2 were in our yard, 2 were at my ILs. Immediate family only - baby's grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins - not all could make it though. A couple we served lunch (grilled burgers/hot dogs, chips, etc - nothing big), 1 we just had lunch for our parents & they each made a side. Everyone else came for cake & presents. I ordered the cake for my first 3, and made it for my 4th (kept it fairly simple). No games. Plan too much, and it's going to overwhelm baby. 2 hours or less for everything, keep it simple and low-key.
    Anonymous

• I am going to do a Curious George theme for my sons 1st birthday nothing too big but his second birthday will be big as he will understand more :) I think
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 1:49 AM on Mar. 19, 2011