Is my 2 year old fat?? How much does your 2 year old weigh?

My 29 month old daughter was tiny for the longest time, but around 18 months had a huge growth spurt that just kept going, lol. Now she's 35" tall and weighs about 36lbs. She wears 3t clothes mostly, although some brands seem to run small - but even 4t shirts don't look too big on her, though the pants are too long.
I don't let her have a ton of candy or junk food, and she drinks mostly milk, water, or sometimes juice. She has a gymnastics class once a week, and we try to let her play outside as much as we can.
But the health department people say she's fat. She's not nearly as fat as some two year olds I've seen, but she does look big next to many of her two year old playmates - tall, as well as a little chubbier. She does have a poochy little belly, and is getting pretty heavy for me to be picking up (though I'm pregnant, so I'm not supposed to be lifting much.)

So I'm a bit concerned she may be too overweight now, and I don't know what to do about it if she is. Is 36lbs too much for a 35" tall 29 month old?
How much does your toddler weigh?

FluffyMamaBunny

Asked by FluffyMamaBunny at 12:34 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think the word ''fat'' is acceptable, but whatever floats your boat.

Anywho,...my 2, soon to be 3 in july is 35lbs. She's tall, not sure how tall, her doctor says she's perfect and healthy. If your child doctor isn't concerned, then you shouldn't be either as long as she's healthy.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• She is not too big. My husbands side of the family is SUPER tall and skinny. But, the toddlers are always heavy . . . a lot bigger than the other kids. And then, they hit five and shoot up like a spark, and it becomes impossible to keep weight on them. I think they need those years of extra chub because they are still forming their neurological system, and the myelin needs fat.
    As long as your baby is eating healthy foods, then she is how she should be.
    The wonderful thing about being a kid, is that you always grow. So, if you never need to diet. You just eat healthfully and your body will grow into balance.
    Oh, boy, do I wish that I still had some growning to do, myself! LOL!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:39 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• According to my charts,she falls within the normal height/weight ratio. She's fine

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• My son hasn't been weighed since his 2 year appointment about 8 months ago, but at that point he was 31lbs. But he's (or was) also 38inches so he wears mostly 3Ts because of height, not waist. Looking at him, he looks tall and skinny but if you pick him up he's heavy!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:52 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• It sounds like she may be a tiny bit overweight. Have you talked to her doctor about it? I'd listen to the doctor over the health department. The important thing in their growth is consistency. If she is in fact overweight, ask her doctor for ways to control her weight.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:37 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Talk to your kid's pediatrician about if s/he believes your kid is overweight.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:39 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• EVERY time i take my Ds to the clinic he gets weighed and measured and they tell me he is getting to big. he is in the 97% he has always been in the 90's and when I mentioned this to my fam and friends they had no idea what the dr was talking about.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:47 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• My 28 month old is 35" and weighs 27 lbs (that was a week ago when he went for an ear infection). So to me 36 lbs sounds a little on the heavy side.

Answer by missanc at 1:04 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• She might be a little heavy, A good way to check is go to www.cdc.gov they have growth charts there for height and weight... typically you would want her height and weight in the same percentile...If you are still concerned talk to your doctor, and check out her dietary habits. I hope this helps!
    heather_84

Answer by heather_84 at 3:06 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• she weighs 4 pounds more than my 4 year old, LOL, but it sounds like she balances out as far as being proportionate with her height. she is tall, my 2 year old is about the same height and weighs 28 pounds, but has a gut like ive never seen! is her pediatrician at all concerned?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 18, 2011