Ok so my boys are sick its a virus that makes them have diarrhea and puke the doctor says there is nothing they can do the body just has to run its course

so my boys got sick saturday night they seemed to get better except the diarrhea now jacob woke up puking again which is what started this virus. anyone elses kids gone through this and if so what did you do to help get rid of this thing? PLEASE HELP

mother20062007

Asked by mother20062007 at 11:35 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Kids' Health

• All you can do is push fluids to keep them hydrated. Ginger ale is easy on the stomach and helps.
    lizzy021604

Answer by lizzy021604 at 11:38 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• how old are your boys? pedialyte is great for hydration
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 11:42 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• BRAT diet only for now.

Don't push regular food yet or you will likely just increase the puking. Also if he just threw up give him about 2 hours until you allow him small sips of a drink. I think that is the rule, because if you give too much too soon more throw up=more deyhdration.

People make the mistake of immediately sipping water after throwing like you are going to immediately dehydrate and instead it just makes you puke more, which in turn will make you more dehydrated. So take your time with the fluids. Even a nice ice pop would be good for them to suck on if their mouths are dry.

B-banana R-rice A-applesauce T-toast

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• OMG! Phoebe and I both had it, twice. She never really complained of being "sick". Just couldn't make it to the bathroom in time if she wasn't standing there real close and got to the point she was almost afraind to leave the bathroom. I missed so much work from it that I had to go thru the fmla paperwork and everything. It lasted a week each time and then just went away. Try to keep them drinking, even if they don't want to. I let myself get dehydrated and it was so much worse because of that. Hope it goes away soon.
    crazybeautifulh

Answer by crazybeautifulh at 12:17 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• LOL, my kids had that a couple years in a year and it was awful! They had so much diarrhea! His diaper leaked out all over my clothes AND my couch, ugh. Poor kids...they had a terrible rash too.

Just keep them hydrated. It usually lasts about a week unfortunately. Put them on the BRAT diet. Bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:31 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Also, you can try Florastor Kids -- it's OTC but you get it from the pharmacist. It helps the body recover. Not quite as helpful if the kids can't keep it down, but it will help with the diahrrea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• chamomile tea helped and worked wonders
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 1:32 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• my kids doctors told me to try this and i swear it works!!! starve your kid? lol!! dont let them hav anything to eat. the virus grows bicteria and the food helps the virus stay in their bodys, also give them nothing but Hawian punch, ONLY THE RED!!! that will coat there stomach and reduse the throwing up. now for the gross part when they do hav diarra, it will turn red dont freak, this should go one for about 24hours, but it has worked for all 3 of my kids.good luck!!
    jesussaves424

Answer by jesussaves424 at 10:56 PM on Nov. 30, 2008