Making a mountain out of a mole hill or justifiable?

our apartment complex is being re-painted and in the process, little white dots of paint flew onto the cars in the parking lot. i didn't notice it but my husband noticed a lot on his car. we were not notified of the re-painting or that we should move our cars. he wants me to call the landlord today and complain, arguing that he doesn't think we should be responsible for removing the paint off of our cars. i on the other hand do not feel like arguing considering we've had bigger fish to fry with these stupid people. for one im irritated that we weren't even notified they would be repainting, i made a post about that the other day. how they came onto everyone's porches and put their patio furniture out into the hallway without permission. luckily i stay at home so i could monitor my belongings. but people who work might've left something of value out there and then it spent all day in the hallway, anyone could steal it. not to mention the countless managing FAILS from our leasing office. as much as it sucks, and is irritating that they got paint on our cars, i don't think they will do much about it.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Relationships

• legally they can not enter your apartment without permission. they are also supposed to notify you of any work being done that could possibly cause any damage to any personal property. if i were in your shoes i would take pics, inform them of the problem in writing and give them an opportunity to fix it. if they chose not to respond/fix it within a reasonable amount of time i would inform them that they will be sued and go down to the court house. a paint job costs too much to just let it go and honesty, they are probably going to be facing other lawsuits if they continure to due business like this. hope this helps.
    Kathy_USMC

Answer by Kathy_USMC at 10:20 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Oh, I so would call.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:40 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I would certainly make a stink about paint flecks on my car! They need to cover the damage costs.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:39 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I absolutely think it should be mentioned to the housing authority as they could get sued for it in the future, but I would remove the paint myself. Other tenants may not be so kind.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:40 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• You need to complain. In writing. I hope you have a paper trail of everything.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:41 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• In Chicago he would be liable for so much! Landlords cannot move or enter a tenant's property without 3 days notice at minimum. Any maintenance that is done on the exterior of the building has to be notified to the tenants. And if any damage is done to property during said maintenance? He has to replace or repair.

Call. Its all part of the same problem. Also look up your local tenant rights and contact someone. They will give you free advice but if you have to go to court and use them they will generally charge you.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 12:45 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• make a note, maybe even file a police report. The complex is liable.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:52 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I would take pictures and inform the landlord.
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 12:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Raise a stink about it. It may not solve all the problems you have, but make them fix this one.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:07 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• For those who think it's easy to remove the paint on your own...it's NOT! The company that was responsible for mine found that out the HARD way! They had a shop go over my truck and "remove" all the paint specks. And my truck was covered in them. The spot removal method left a dull finish on every spot they touched on my truck. Because not only did it remove the paint specks, but also ate into a layer or two of the top coat. So, yep, they had to do a total new paint job on my truck. They also had to replace the mirror encasements, grill & fender flares as the paint wouldn't come off of them.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:43 PM on Mar. 18, 2011