My baby won't take the breast anymore :-(

I've breastfed and formula fed my 4 month old since birth and he's never had trouble with bottle, breast or pacifier but all of a sudden he won't take the breast. He'll latch on for a second and then stop and laugh at me. I try to pump but never get anything out (I've tried 2 different kinds of pumps). I'm sad that my baby doesn't want me anymore. What can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Be glad you could breast feed that long. I couln't do it at all!! LOL...just keep trying, sounds like he's playing with you....GL
    Lillysmomma1024

Answer by Lillysmomma1024 at 11:41 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Keep trying! Baby has reached the age of distraction, and it's going to be harder to feed him for awhile, but don't give up! Try nursing in a darkened environment, where he can't see all of the exciting things there are too distract him and just KEEP TRYING. You may want to contact a lactation consultant as well. Good luck! :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 11:41 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Always offer the breast BEFORE the bottle if you want to keep up with nursing. Do you formula feed for a reason? Like working, etc? If not it would probably be best to do away with the formula for a few days and have yourself a nurse in. Babies will not wean themselves before a year, at least not usually. It's a very rare occurrence. What SOUNDS like is going on to me is that the baby has gotten use to the EASE of the bottle. It's MUCH easier to suck from a bottle than the breast, and other than that sounds like he's distracted. If you're not using SLOW flow nipples switch back to slow flow to better mimick the breast, and nurse in a very dark quiet room to limit distractions.

This is NOT him saying he doesn't want you anymore. Nursing strikes are relatively normal and can be brought about by MANY changes in baby's life. Try Kellymom.com for more info.
    catwalksymphony

Answer by catwalksymphony at 11:57 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• This is a nursing strike and can be broken. Check out kellymom.com for info.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:02 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• If you can avoid formula I would at least til your supply increases. I agree that its distractions and the dark room sounds like a good idea. Breastflow bottles by saftyfirst are the best in my opinion to avoid nipple confusion. When my DD is done eating, she looks up and smiles at me, then goes back and forth.. smile..boob..If I don't make eye contact and smile she wont go back. I call it peek a boob:)
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:07 PM on Nov. 25, 2008