Do they check the diapers of little babies/toddlers when you visit someone in prison?

My uncle is in prison and we were going to go visit him today. Until I just heard that they look in the diapers of little kids? Is this true? Do they really do that?
I don't want anyone looking in my little girls diaper :(

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 12:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes . . they will probably check. There is a huge contraband problem in the prisons, and people will smuggle stuff in through the most ungodly places. Have you checked to make sure that your daughter is actually "allowed" in the visiting area? It may be worth a call to save a you trip and a long wait in the visit line.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• a prison really isn't the best place to be taking a baby in the first place.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 1:02 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Sadly I would say yes,check anywhere you could hide something. My BIL works @ pelican bay and I think they look every where!
    justalady774

Answer by justalady774 at 12:59 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Call the prison and ask. I know county jails and some low security prisons dont.

Answer by gemgem at 1:01 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Generally, yes, they do. My ex-SIL slipped some weed to my ex-BIL in jail that way. STUPID, but true. And, that was a minimum security prison in OK. You'd be amazed at what contraband gets slipped into prisons and the manner in which they were hidden. They aren't looking in diapers because they get a thrill out of it. They are looking out for the safety of you, your child, the guards, & the inmates. If you are uncomfortable with them looking in her diaper, maybe a prison isn't a place she needs to be taken.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:06 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I was a prison guard and yes they check, truthfully, I would not take my child to a prison, some of those guys in there are not the kind of guys you want to be looking at your kids, not to mention that their diaper gets checked. Tha'ts not a memory I want for my children. I understand every situation is different but i'd be sure you had a GREAT reason to put your child through that. Good luck.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 1:06 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I had a brother in prison recently. I would up sending my husband to do the visit, and the kids and I stayed home . . . those places scare me. After being there and seeing the whole scene, my husband, actually, would not let me or my kids go . . . .

Anonymous

• Your baby should not be going there, sorry but that is just my opinion.

I feel as if the person didn't do wrong they would not be there in the first place.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:09 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Oh yeah..children and babies are allowed there. I know it sounds funny but its a "family friendly" prison. They even have a playroom set up for the little ones. And no..it may not be the best place for children..but my uncle is family and he wants to see the kids. Hes really depressed in there. But if they are gonig to look in my babies diapers then I'm going to wait until tomorrow to go when I can leave them with dh.
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 1:06 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• My ex's brother just got out of prison and they didn't allow anyone under 18 to visit. This was in CA
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 1:12 PM on Mar. 18, 2011