Earwax!

Okay, so both my kids (19 mo. and 6 mo.) have pretty bad earwax. I try to clean them every night after baths hoping that it'll be softer and easier to remove, but it's just too thick and hard, for both of them. Because they're both so little, I'm not too sure whats safe to use or not, and I'm a little afraid to try Q-tips with how much they can squirm around. Any suggestions??

Nora1

Asked by Nora1 at 11:39 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if they have a lot of earwax and it is hard you should not try to remove it yourself. It can be very painful because the wax adheres to all the fine hairs in the canal. Consult your pediatrician. Sometimes they will order a product called Debrox to be used for a few days then the Dr. usually wants to see them to remove anything still not removed.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:04 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• They have that spray that sparys backwards so it blows the wax OUT of the ear without risking damage. You can get it at any drug store.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:25 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I had this problem with my son. There is a liquid for infants you can find at some drug stores. (pharmacy's) I forgot the name of the one i used to use. But it would soften the wax and make it easier to use children's q tips! He would rarely fuss but if her did I would wait until he was asleep. you only need to clean the beginning of the canal(visible part) if you keep doing that once of twice a say the amount of earwax should de crease. All advice I gave here was given to my by a pediatrician.
    Caleb080906

Answer by Caleb080906 at 4:41 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• My daughter's ears are disgusting and I do use q-tips...I know, I know. She is a wiggly kid too, but I think it feels so good to her to get it out that she will sit there and let me do what I need to do. Just hold the q-tip at the very point so that even if they do move, it cant go in far enough to do any damage.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:12 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Only clean what you can see. My son has alot of wax too..enough that I asked his doctor about it. She just said some people produce more than others. I use baby Q-tips after his bath and like I said..ONLY clean what you can see:)
    bamsmama23

Answer by bamsmama23 at 11:52 PM on Nov. 27, 2008