Are you quick to judge others?

Before you know the details do you have your "take" on the situation?

Like it is ALWAYS wrong to leave a child alone in the car. (What if the was 30ft away to drop mail in the box?)

It is wrong to talk to teenage girls about baby names. (What if they are in a health class about to do egg babies?)

Etc...

pammomof9

Asked by pammomof9 at 1:16 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• no, i'm not. i get the details b4 i say anything, if i say anything.
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 1:20 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• i am quick to form an opinion on something. we are all entitled to our opinions, whether everyone agrees with it or not. a lot of times having an opinion on something is "judging". i can think & feel that leaving a child alone in a car under any circumstance is wrong, but that doesn't make me judgmental. judging is bringing it to the next level: that woman is a horrible mother for doing that, she should have her kids taken away. THAT is judging, and no, i am not quick to judge.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:23 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• You post in a public forum, you get public opinions. You may not like them, but you put it out there. If you don't put all the details then people draw conclusions. Its human nature to "fill in the blanks". You don't like what people have to say...what strangers have to say then don't put it out there in public. Or quit taking what strangers say so personally. Do a bunch of strangers on the net really matter that much?
    Anonymous

• No, I'm not....although I used to be....there was a point when I realized that just because I have the right to an opinion, doesn't mean I have a right to have my opinion respected.....I realized how often I thought I knew about something, but was really coming from a place of ignorance....So now I do a lot more listening and research and form opinions very carefully, and am also careful to be open enough to change my opinion based on new information....it's not easy, and can even make me appear "wishy-washy", but I am also learning not to worry about how I appear as long as I am being real.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 1:31 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Not much. But I generally do observe people the way they behave...
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 1:18 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I like to people watch and I naturally analyze but I don't necessarily form real opinions based off those analyzations. I just like to make up stories about people I guess you could say. But I know they aren't true. I do it for fun. I could care less about what really goes on in other people's lives and if it doesn't affect mine I don't have a problem with it.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:21 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I try not to judge, a very nice woman told me to never judge someone until you have walked in their shoes, but sometimes you hear bits of a story and are quick to think something whether you can help it or not, but I never say anything until I have heard the whole story and even then I try to think from every point of view.
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 1:24 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I won't lie,yes I am

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:26 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Everyone judges... it is instinctual to make a judgment... it is survival.... do I need to step in? do I need to leave? do I need to help?

What REALLY COUNTS is how you behave.

YES... I make judgements EVERY day... but it is how I react/respond to the people Im making judgements about.

Anonymous

• I wouldn't really be aware of a mom running to the mail box or a class project two teens are discussing. And I have left my son in the car while I checked the mail box. I did not leave the car running because I am paranoid. Not of him getting out of his booster seat but of someone jumping on the car. Somewhat very unlikely, I have an active imagination, but I did say I am paranoid. I guess out of habit I realize there are more than just two sides to every situation. I'm not the type to dog a mom in my mind if her child is having a tantrum in the restaurant or store. I do have negative thoughts about say a situation where a mom is calling her child stupid and asking what the Hell is wrong with him, can't do anything right, ect... in a booth in front of us. Or the dad who slaps his son across the face in the park while telling him he is retarded. So to be fair to the question - I guess I do pick and choose when I judge.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:27 PM on Mar. 18, 2011