Can someone worship the wrong creator?

It's pretty common knowledge that Judaism, Christianity, Islam, and the Baha'i Faith all stem from the same roots, and they are in a sense unified in believing in the same god, the creator of the universe. But what about other monotheistic faiths that aren't related to those, such as Sikhism and Zoroastrianism? They both claim to worship the creator of the universe. So, can there be a "wrong" creator?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• To make your question messier, many religious/history scholars believe zoroastrianism is, in fact, the precursor to the Abrahamics, so in reality, they all worship a modified version of that same deity.

I still prescribe it to regionalism. Zoroastrians, Hebrews, Christians, Muslims - they are all Middle Eastern faiths. People don't always look at them that way because of how they've spread, but they are, originally, regional. No different than the Kemetic, Hellenic, Germanic, Celtic, and the Chinese concept of shen used in the assorted pre-Confucian teachings. Not all of these faiths feel a need to prescribe complete creation to their deities - some only deal with the creation of humanity in an existing universe. This leaves the question if those few faiths with the hubris to claim the universe aren't overreaching a little bit.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:39 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Whose to say all the ideas aren't all correct? Just b/c they have different names, doesn't mean they are wrong. Maybe human's idea of right and wrong will be completely moot in the next life or existance.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:54 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Nah, I think we are all worshipping the same creator, we just have different stories and approach it in different ways....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 1:36 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• If I'm not mistaken, both of those faiths and similar faiths do not believe the Abrahamic god is any different from theirs. There is one God, just different ways of connecting with him.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 1:46 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I don't believe in a personal, creator God. IF I did (for the sake of the question), I would probably be more like to believe something similar to Hinduism that all gods and avatars are incarnations of the One or Ultimate Reality. That all gods are really the same but with different names and just represent different cultures' ways of understanding themselves and the world around them. As I believe the concept of God is equivalent to the Universe itself, personally, I would see all these gods as metaphor rather than literal beings myself. If there were truly an ultimate supreme deity, I think he/she would have no reason to be jealous, so that is why this idea of a personal god who recognizes other beings as manifestations or incarnations of the Supreme God makes more sense to me than the Abrahamic God ever did when I was a child.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:20 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• "wrong" in whose eyes?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:37 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Who is to say ALL religions are NOT worshiping the WRONG creator?? Mankind created religion NOT God. Or the Creator of the whole Universe. Gonna be a big bummer if we all find out that it's an Alien race that put mankind here and not some omnipotent all powerful creator. But Im a Christian and I worship God Almighty. If Im wrong? Ill find out when I die wont I?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:41 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• If you ask me, none of those groups are worshiping the Creator of the Universe. They are simply worshiping a God who CLAIMS to be the Creator of the Universe...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:13 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Frankly I think all "creators" are the wrong creators because I don't believe there to be a creator, but if someone wants to worship one or a thousand that's their business but they should learn that not everyone is going to believe as they do and for every person claiming someone else is worshipping the "wrong" creator, there is someone that thinks the accuser's creator is the "wrong' one. Heck just look at how some Christians claim that certain denominations are wrong.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• well heck... people can worship anyone/thing they choose... they could worship a chair if they wanted.
    Anonymous