Breastfeeding moms

it's been 4 yrs since I have nursed. My question is, how often are 6week olds suppose to nurse and for how long. He is every two hours and 20 mins on each side. at night he will give me one four hour stretch. Any advice, I go back to work in about 4wks and need sleep. Also he doesnt take a bottle.

marathonMama78

Asked by marathonMama78 at 1:39 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That sounds about normal for his age.

If you are planning on going back to work, you need to start pumping if you haven't already. And get him used to a bottle...that is unless someone will bring him to work for you to nurse.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:42 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• All babies are different but my two were up to about every three hours by that age. And my kids never did longer than 20 minutes on each side. I bet by the time you go to work it is much better.
    Anonymous

• As often as they want, as long as they want. That's a "forever" answser, by the way.

Let someone ELSE do the bottle when you are gone. It's very common for them to reject bottles from mom. No baby will starve himself, though.

Sleep when he does sleep... if he sleeps in the daytime you do the same.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• you get a 4 hour stretch????? I am so super jealous!!! LOL
    i dont think there really is a set schedule for the nursing babies...unfortunatley. I've tried to figure that one out for myself!
    I just nurse on demand. It was about every 1 1/2-2 hours that the one I'm nursing now would wake up around 6 weeks..if I remember correctly..those days are such a blurr..I was so tired,lol
    He's 5 1/2 months now and I'll be lucky to get a 3 hour stretch at night before my little chubbers wants to eat again.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• By 6 weeks my kids were going about 3 hours between nursing, and were down to about 20 minutes total at a time. But feed him when he's hungry!

Answer by missanc at 1:46 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• On demand, which, for newborns, can be pretty constantly. You let them nurse on one side until they come off on their own, then offer the other side. Whether or not they nurse on the second breast, it's fine either way.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:01 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Thanks everybody! It was just sodifferent with our first son. I was lucky if he did 10 min every 3-4 hours. Different kids, different needs!
    marathonMama78

Comment by marathonMama78 (original poster) at 4:33 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• My daughter is 6 1/2 weeks and her feedings vary as I feed on demand. It can be 2-4 or even 5 hours inbetween feedings during the day. she nurses for as long as she wants which could be from 15mins to 35mins. At night she sleeps 7 hours usually so its normally a feeding close to midnight then not again until about 6 or 7. I got lucky, both my kids were pretty much sleeping through the night at this age
    TattooedMama87

Answer by TattooedMama87 at 10:25 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• As often as they want there, some babies just eat and thats it. Others love to linger. My LO loves to snack. He will eat a little pas out then wanna eat again really soon. I wanted to say tho. That with my first two I didnt introduce the bottle till about 8 weeks and they NEVER took a bottle. It was difficult but I made it work with a Feeding cup and a spoon and at about 6 months old a sippy cup. Well my Mom had to feed them that way while DH and I worked. So I would get your LO used to a Bottle ASAP! With my Next 2 I did bottle from about 4 weeks on and never had a problem. Some LC say baby will prefer bottle because it is easy but mine dont. My DS is 11 weeks now and is just taking a bottle from me. He was so mad when I tried to bottle feed him. I was having some one else do it. He would take the boob over a bottle ANY DAY!

yobabywazup

Answer by yobabywazup at 1:53 AM on Mar. 20, 2011