When you see a homeless person what do you do?

I work for a non-profit agency that helps the homeless and needy in the community. I am sometimes bewildered by some of the comments I hear from others.

vishuz1

Asked by vishuz1 at 1:43 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Entertainment

• Because of the many scams that I know of in my town, The first thing I want to do is sit and watch what they drive, evaluate their clothes, and see who drops them off.
    Last weekend, I watched a guy get dropped off in a new cadillac and then the driver pulled around the corner, hopped out and acted like a stranger to give him money. Scam!
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:45 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• This is def. ganna get alot of mixed responces half think they need to get off there ass an get a job then the other half like me think it could be that they are having a hard time... IDK if im by a fast food place i will get em a sandwich but i stray from handing out money
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 1:45 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• i live in a town that has alot of homeless and we try and help them with clothes and food
    diana398

Answer by diana398 at 1:46 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• We don't have homeless people hanging out on the streets. We used to have a problem with them living under the Main St. bridge,but several non profit services fixed their issues of where to live/eat

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:47 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Keep walking. I used to work downtown (and I still go have lunch downtown with my best friend) and there are a lot of them down there. They hang out at the McDonalds and in the food court by his work. I just ignore them. Most of them don't bother anyone, and the ones that do ask for change or something usually just want a coffee (and they really do just go to McDonalds or Timmies and buy one). I never have change to give them, as I can hardly afford coffee myself, so I tell them I don't if they ask.
    My best friend once got lunch for one of them though, cause they gave him a McDonalds coupon. Ha ha
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 1:47 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Other than feel bad that I have a warm bed to sleep in tonight, nothing. I occassionally give them some change or a dollar but even though I already know what it's probably going to be used for, I once had a panhandler BUY a cigarette off of me with the change I just saw someone else give him. So that kind of changed my perspective on pandhandlers!
    Anonymous

• It depends, If I can honestly tell they need help I might buy them something to eat or give them a dollar but times are tough right now so I really don't have extra money
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 1:50 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• This is a hard one because there are some dishonest people, but sometimes people really are just down on their luck. I wish there was more to do to help them, but I'll give them some change or food.
    Tink05215

Answer by Tink05215 at 1:52 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I just ignore them, everyone is going through hard times, why aren't they able to do anything about it with all the programs out they to help!
    lil_shannie

Answer by lil_shannie at 2:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• depends.

If Im down town (san diego) and a homeless man/woman is just walking on the street I really do nothing at all. IF I happen to make eye contact I will smile.. but nothing more.

If I see someone holding a sign I may or may not give a dollar... more often not. There are places that seem to be where certain people will ALWAYS be... the same people ALL the time.

I HAVE on many occations purchased bread, peanut butter, and water and handed the person the bag. I have also purchased a gift card at the bagle shop or market and handed them that... but it depends on how they are acting and what the situation is. Some you can tell are REALLY in need of help... some are beyong MY help and need mental care.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 2:26 PM on Mar. 18, 2011