If you make something for dinner you know your kids don't like do you make them eat it anyway?

wishbearmom

Asked by wishbearmom at 1:52 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• If I know they absolutely don't like it I'll make sure there's something else available, usually leftovers. We had tacos the other night. My 8yo dd doesn't like them. She'll eat them to make me happy but she doesn't like them. Since we had a fridge full of leftovers she got to choose something from in there (stroganoff as it were, I even cooked up the last of the noodles for her).
    Now, I also have a kid that will tell you she HATES every meal I make just because, even though she ate it the last time I made it. She eats what I make. There are very few things she really doesn't like, she just has an over abundance of stubbornness. Last time it was hamburgers because I made them from scratch. She threw a fit and said she hated them that way but when I told her she got nothing else she ate them without complaint and liked them. So much for "hating" them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Nope. I don't force them to eat things they don't like. I encourage they to try it and if they truly dislike it I'll let them have cereal or something. My youngest son and my husband are extremely picky so if I got worked up over what people won't eat I'd be in a constant state of distress.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:54 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• they can make a pb&j sandwich if they don't like it, but i won't force them to eat it.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I usually make enough food that they can get what they want. I don't make 12 seperate meals but if we make burbon chicken...the kids don't like it spicy so I dip some out before I flame it up.

If I know that they DO NOT like something, I will not make it and force them to eat it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:54 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• 2 not 12...whew, I must have been busy without knowing, LOL
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I do not generally, but I know that's probably the wrong answer. I heard somewhere (probably Dr. Phil or Dr. Oz) that your kids have such little control - all they can control is what they take in and what they put out. I suppose I feel that I'm empowering her a bit. I also try to keep her in mind when I make dinner and base mealtime around meals all three of us enjoy - for the same reason I don't force certain foods on my husband, I do not force them on my 3-year-old. For that reason, it is rare that she does not eat what we eat.

Plus, I pick my battles - if my daughter will eat a peanut butter sandwich and banana for dinner rather than what I'm eating, she is still getting nutrition, and it doesn't take much time.

(Of course that doesn't mean I'm above sneaking certain foods into other foods or insisting she try something at least once, but I'd rather not bully her into eating something she truly doesn't want to.)
    EloisesMomma

Answer by EloisesMomma at 1:59 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I make them eat a small amount of everything, but if I'm making something I know they really don't like, I try to also have something I know they really like a lot to balance it out - but with 5 kids that's not always possible!

Answer by missanc at 1:53 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• no.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• No I don't. I ask that they try it because our tastes change as we get older but never force. I try to have something on the table that they will eat.
    mommy2boys03

Answer by mommy2boys03 at 2:06 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I don't have kids that don't like certain foods. I don't entertain picky eaters......if I make it, you eat it. If you don't want to eat it, that's fine but if you want a snack you can eat your dinner.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 2:18 PM on Mar. 18, 2011