What are we supposed to do?

We need to move. My husband and I bring home about $1600 a month after taxes and health insurance. We need to move in a few months and can't find a place under $1100 a month. We qualify for food stamps, but for a family of 3 because we make over $1300 gross a month we don't qualify for any other type of assistance. We also have to make a car payment and pay for the ever-rising price of gas to get to work, not to mention other expenses like diapers, clothes, PLUS utilities like gas & electric, water, etc. I work full time, he works part time and goes to school but is looking for another job with the limited hours he is available and is having NO luck. I just got a decent raise at my job but it still isn't enough. We have almost $6000 saved but that isn't going to do much after a few months if we can't find any extra income. What are we supposed to do? I'm not trying to blame anybody, but it is so frustrating to see people who don't work at all, who don't speak English or aren't even US citizens able to recieve all this assistance yet a young family who is trying everything to make for ourselves can't do anything and can't get any help. What can we do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• Are you talking you can't find an apartment even for under $1100 or are you looking at homes? how many people are in your family. I understand the frustration you are talking about and feel it quite often in other types of situations and areas.. I'm sorry you are going through a rough patch!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:06 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• You would be shocked at how much $$ you can save on electric, food, cloths, just about everything. Yes you have to sacrafice allot, but if doing that gets you what you need or really want then so be it. 6K saved is a GREAT start. best of luck.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:06 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• My best advice is to move out of the area, if you can't afford the bills...it's time to find a place that you can....but that also means a whole bunch of other obstacles being thrown at you. It's hard on all of us, it's not going to get any easier, so honestly it just boils down to necessities, and sacrifices....Good Luck to you sweetheart, I know how frustrating it can be. Those that work qualify for little or no help at all, while those that don't want to work, don't attempt to go to work or school...can get all kinds of help.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 2:07 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Yes, under $1100 for a 2 bedroom apartment. If we squeezed into a 1-bedroom cheapest I've found is $980. There are 3 of us, our son is 3.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:08 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• You said you have a car payment - why don't you get rid of that payment? Use some of the 6K you have saved to buy an older reliable car and that will free up some of your monthly income.

Answer by missanc at 2:10 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Thank you. We both agreed would would love to move elsewhere, but honestly don't know where to start. We'd have to move pretty far to live much cheaper and still find decent jobs, but then we run into the issue of paying for childcare since we wouldn't have any family around, finding stable jobs, plus moving expenses. I'm on a great path to a career I love and could do well at in the future and would hate to sacrifice that, but am willing to start over somewhere else and work my way back up if I had to.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• i was wear you are last month we lived motel with five people and cat one room ,yes it is hard but banging your self up wont't help look on kijiji in the usa find some thing any thing will do and remember you have each other also go to your family ask for help
    you have more then you think ,there are places that will help but they will look at your bank statement and see you have $6ooo saved
    see if that could be down payment on home ,
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 2:14 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Car payment is already only $120 a month. If I used the $6000 we'd have NOTHING to fall back on. Yes it would help, but it just seems like I may need that money for something else.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:16 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Have you considered starting a home business? Many people do this for additional income, it's flexible, you can work it a few hours a wk, around your schedule and don't to worry about child care.

Also, as other's have said, cut back on utilities as much as possible, make meals that stretch, like spaghetti, stews and soups.

Also, look at trailer homes. Not sure where you are, but there are some nice trailer home parks in this area and many are way cheaper than apt rent.

It's so tough for many people right now, so I can definitely relate. Just found out my 70 yr old mom who is in poor health is taking a $600 cut to her social security and medicare ! She has diabetes, her toes are starting to turn black and she needs surgery, but can't get any help !!!!! REALLY ????

I'm also looking at $700 pay cut in a few mths, started a home biz to make up the income BEFORE I lose it. Working well for me, luckily
    Good luck !
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 2:32 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• You might want to look into other area in the country....why some have such high living expenses compared to others is crazy. Here $1100 a month for a 2 bedroom is a townhouse with all the amendities in in the "snob" suburbs of Buffalo, NY! We live in what's considered a high end suburb called Clarence and our mortgage for our 1700 sq ft, 3 bedroom home is only $995....and we have almost half an acre for our yard.

We own another house in the city of Buffalo, but a decent neighborhood and we rent out the 2 bedrooms apartments for $575 and that's the top price in that area! "Bad" neighborhoods in the city only rent for $300-$400. But it always boggles the mind how prices can differ from place to place!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:36 PM on Mar. 18, 2011